Please notify the Post Office as early as
possible; about four to six weeks before your move is preferable.
The basics that we need to know are:
- your name;
- your extension;
- your e-mail;
- department name;
- current address and zip;
- new location;
- approximate move date;
- whether the whole department is moving or only part;
- whether there will be pneumatic tube service in the new location, and the station number if so.
Starting July 1, 2002, we will be requiring that this information be submitted
via our online address change request, which is linked above.
The following points should be noted:
Once this information has been received and processed, the Post Office schedule
you for a training class, during which you will receive your new address, including new zip code if required,
and your initial supply of change-of-address stationery. If your building is one served by
mailboxes, you will also be assigned a box and given either a key or a
combination as appropriate.
- A new department, for postal purposes, is considered to be the same as a move.
- In case of a department splitting up, a new name will need to be assigned to the area moving. Exact department names cannot be duplicated.
The Post Office will consult with you as needed in this case.
- Mail is routed chiefly by address/zip, so that changes will not be completely effective
until all senders have updated their files.
This phase should be finished by about four weeks before your move.
Begin preparations to notify your correspondents. The Post Office sends
change-of-address stationery along with formal notification of your new
address, but if you need more, please order
A. About four weeks before moving:
- Notify senders of U.S. Mail. Begin with those large organizations likely to need most time to convert,
e.g. publishers, insurance companies, etc.
- Re-order new stationery, envelopes, and business cards. (With your VU
password and user name, you can order these online from University Printing
here.) If you use a rubber stamp for your return address,
re-order this as well.
- Ask those members of your staff who have Credit Union accounts to notify the Credit Union of their new address:
Credit Union, 107 Oxford House (4213). They have a PDF form you can download
and submit here. They will also accept changes by phone at 6-0300.
B. About two weeks before moving:
Notify persons and departments which send you campus mail.
Concentrate first on those areas whose operations most closely impact yours and from which
you receive most mail.