Dan France, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Research Associate Professor (Department of Anesthesiology, Department of Medicine)
Phone: (615) 936-6598
Fax: (615) 936-7373
Dr. France is a Research Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, Medicine and Biomedical Engineering at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. He is the Assistant Director of Vanderbilt's Center for Improving Patient Safety, and a past member of the Executive Safety Council and Risk Management and Patient Safety Committee. Dr. France earned a doctorate in Biomedical Engineering from Vanderbilt University and a Master of Public Health from the University of Utah. He has also received advanced training in Healthcare Delivery Improvement from Intermountain Health Care in Salt Lake City, Utah. Prior to joining Vanderbilt, Dr. France worked as a systems engineer for the Department of Defense and private defense contractors. His professional focus is in health systems engineering and his primary research aims are to model and explain the relationships between hospital efficiency, provider performance, and patient safety. Dr. France is particularly interested in applying knowledge from other high-risk industries and methods from human factors and systems engineering to study and improve operational efficiency and individual and team performance in complex, high-risk clinical environments. He has active grant support from the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundations, Department of Homeland Security, and Veteran's Health Administration.
B.S. – University of Louisville
M.S. – University of Louisville
Ph.D. – Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University
M.P.H. – University of Utah
- Speroff T, Ely EW, Greevy R, Weinger MB, Talbot TR, Wall RJ, Deshpande JK, France DJ, Nwosu S, Burgess H, Englebright J, Williams MV, Dittus RS. Collaborative versus Toolkit Approaches to Quality Improvement on Hospital-Acquired Infections. Submitted to the Journal of Hospital Medicine. [In press]
- Speroff T, Ely EW, Greevy R, Weinger MB, Talbot TR, Wall RJ, Deshpande JK, France DJ, Nwosu S, Burgess H, Englebright J, Williams MV, Dittus RS. Organization Culture: Variation across hospitals and connection to patient safety climate. Quality Safety in Healthcare 2010. [Accepted]
- France DJ, Greevy RA Jr, Liu X, Burgess H, Dittus RS, Weinger MB, Speroff T. Measuring and Comparing Safety Climate in Intensive Care Units. Med Care. PubMed PMID: 20125046, Feb 1, 2010. [Epub ahead of print]
- France DJ, Throop P, Joers B, Allen L, Parekh, AD, Dorsey R, Deshpande JK. Adapting to Family-Centered Hospital Design: Changes in Providers’ Attitudes over a Two-Year Period. Health Environments Research and Design Journal, Fall 2009.
- Levin SR, Dittus, RS, Aronsky D, Weinger, WB, France DJ. Evaluating the effects of increasing surgical volume on emergency department patient access. QSHC, 2010. [Accepted]
- Han JH, France, DJ, Levin SR, Jones I., Storrow A., Aronsky D. The Effect of Physician Triage on Emergency Department Length of Stay, J Emerg Med, Volume 39, Issue 2, year 2010, pp. 227 – 233, Jan. 24, 2009.
- Levin SR, Sauer L, Kelen G, Kirsch T, France DJ. Workload and Situational Awareness in the Emergency Department, IIE Society of Health Systems Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, Feb. 2011.
- France DJ, Levin SR, Sanders N, Patel N, Michaels D, Higgins SM. Human Factors Analysis of a Wireless Clinical Information System for the Operating Room, IIE Society of Health Systems Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, Feb. 2011.
- Anders S, France DJ, Zotov A, Weinger MB, Booker R, Miller A. Usability testing of blood verification products using simulated hospital environments. Society for Simulation in Healthcare, New Orleans, LA, Jan. 2011.
- Weinger MB, Slagle J, Kuntz A, Banerjee A, Schildcrout J, Mercaldo N, France DJ, Speroff T., Bills J, Wallston K. Improving Actual Handover Behavior With a Simulation-Based Training Intervention. Human Factors and Ergonomic Society 54th Annual Meeting, Sept.-Oct., 2010.
- Slagle J, Weinger MB, France DJ, Kuntz A, Speroff T., Madbouly A. Simulation Training for Rapid Assessment and Improved Teamwork - Assessing the Impact of a PACU Handoff Initiative on Actual PACU Handoffs. Fourteenth International Scientific Symposium on Improving Quality and Value in Health Care, Nashville, TN, Dec. 9, 2008.
- Arna Banerjee, A., Weinger, MB, Slagle,J., Miller, A., France, DJ. Teamwork Day – A Novel Daylong Simulation Based Learning Experience for New Medical Students. ASA 2008, Orlando, FL.
- Levin SR, Aronsky D, Han JH, Zhou C, Hoot, N Kelly L, France DJ. Stranded on Emergency Isle: Modeling Competition for Cardiac Services using Survival Analysis. IEEM 2007, Singapore, Dec. 2007.
- France DJ, Speroff T, Burgess H, Greevy R, Liu X, Guo W, Talbot T, Littleton S, Reischel J, Patsy McFadden, Englebright J; Weinger M, Ely W, Williams M; Wall R, Brewer L, Deshpande J, Perlin J, Dittus RS. Variability in Safety Climate in Intensive Care Units of a Large For-Profit Hospital System. Institute of Health Improvement Scientific Symposium, Orlando, Dec. 2007.
- Levin SR, Dittus, RS, Aronsky D, Weinger, WB, Han JH, Boord, J, France DJ. Optimizing Cardiology Capacity to Reduce Emergency Department Boarding: A Systems Engineering Approach. Am Heart J. 2008 Dec;156(6):1202-9. Epub, Aug. 29, 2008.
- Levin, S.; Han, J.; Aronsky, D.; Zhou, C.; Hoot, N.; Kelly, L.; France, DJ, Stranded on Emergency Isle: Modeling Competition for Cardiac Services using Survival Analysis, Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, pp.1772-1776, Dec. 2-4, 2007.
- France, DJ, Leming-Lee, S., Jackson, T, Feistritzer, N., Higgins, MS. An Observational Analysis of Surgical Team Compliance with Perioperative Safety Practices after Crew Resource Management Training, Am J Surg, 195(4): 546-53, Apr. 1, 2008.
- Dale C, Dezube R, Levin SR, Weinger MB, France DJ. Registered Nurse Work Patterns as a Function of Emergency Department Occupancy and Boarding Burden, Ann Emerg Med, Volume 50, Issue 3, Pages S46 - S46.
- Levin SR, Aronsky D, Han JH, Zhou C, France DJ. Modeling Competition for Inpatient Cardiac Care: Impact on Emergency Department Boarding Times. Ann Emerg Med, Volume 50, Issue 3, 2007, pp. S89 - S89.
- Levin S, Hemphill R, Han J, Slagle J, Aronsky D., France DJ. Shifting Toward Balance: Measuring the distribution of workload among emergency physician teams. Ann Emerg Med, June 6, 2007.