Dan France, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Research Associate Professor (Department of Anesthesiology, Department of Medicine)
Phone: (615) 936-6598
Fax: (615) 936-7373
Dr. France is a Research Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, Medicine and Biomedical Engineering at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. He is the Assistant Director of Vanderbilt's Center for Improving Patient Safety, and a past member of the Executive Safety Council and Risk Management and Patient Safety Committee. Dr. France earned a doctorate in Biomedical Engineering from Vanderbilt University and a Master of Public Health from the University of Utah. He has also received advanced training in Healthcare Delivery Improvement from Intermountain Health Care in Salt Lake City, Utah. Prior to joining Vanderbilt, Dr. France worked as a systems engineer for the Department of Defense and private defense contractors. His professional focus is in health systems engineering and his primary research aims are to model and explain the relationships between hospital efficiency, provider performance, and patient safety. Dr. France is particularly interested in applying knowledge from other high-risk industries and methods from human factors and systems engineering to study and improve operational efficiency and individual and team performance in complex, high-risk clinical environments. He has active grant support from the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundations, Department of Homeland Security, and Veteran's Health Administration.
B.S. – University of Louisville
M.S. – University of Louisville
Ph.D. – Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University
M.P.H. – University of Utah
- France DJ, Throop P, Joers B, Allen L, Parekh, AD, Dorsey R, Deshpande JK. Adapting to Family-Centered Hospital Design: Changes in Providersí Attitudes over a Two-Year Period. Health Environments Research and Design Journal, Fall 2009.
- Han JH, France, DJ, Levin SR, Jones I., Storrow A., Aronsky D. The Effect of Physician Triage on Emergency Department Length of Stay. J Emerg Med. volume 39, issue 2, year 2010, pp. 227 - 2332009 Jan 24.
- Speroff T, Ely EW, Greevy R, Weinger MB, Talbot TR, Wall RJ, Deshpande JK, France DJ, Nwosu S, Burgess H, Englebright J, Williams MV, Dittus RS. Organization Culture: Variation across hospitals and connection to patient safety climate. Qual Saf Health Care. 2010 Dec;19(6):592-6.
- France DJ, Greevy RA Jr, Liu X, Burgess H, Dittus RS, Weinger MB, Speroff T. Measuring and Comparing Safety Climate in Intensive Care Units. Med Care. 2010 Feb 1. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 20125046.
- Anders S, Miller A, Zotov A, Weinger MB, Booker R, France DJ. Blood product positive patient identification: comparative simulation-based usability test of two commercial products. Transfusion. 2011 Nov. 11(51):2311-8.
- Speroff T, Ely EW, Greevy R, Weinger MB, Talbot TR, Wall RJ, Deshpande JK, France DJ, Nwosu S, Burgess H, Englebright J, Williams MV, Dittus RS. Quality improvement projects targeting health care-associated infections: Comparing virtual collaborative and toolkit approaches. J Hosp Med. 2011 May. 5(6):271-8.
- Levin S, Dittus R, Aronsky D, Weinger M., France DJ. Evaluating the effects of increasing surgical volume on emergency department patient access. BMJ Qual Saf. 20:146-152, 2011.
- Zuckerman SL, France DJ, Green C, Leming-Lee S, Anders S, Mocco, J. Surgical Debriefing: A Reliable Roadmap to Completing the Patient Safety Cycle. Neurosurg Focus. 2012 Nov; Vol. 5(33):E4. PMID:23116099.
- Levin S, Harley E, Fackler J, Lehmann CU, Custer J, France, DJ, Zeger S. Real-time forecasting of patient length-of-stay using computerized provider orders. Critical Care Medicine, 2012 Nov; 11(40):3058-3064. PMID: 22824935.
- Levin SR, Sauer L, Kelen G, Kirsch T, Pham J, Desai S, France DJ. Situation Awareness in Emergency Medicine. IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering. 23 Apr 2012.
- McClain CM, Hughes J, Blackburn J,Sephel S, France DJ, Viele M, Lawrence T. Goodnough LT, Young PY. Blood Ordering From The Operating Room: Turnaround Time As A Quality Indicator. Transfusion, March 2012.
- Mainthia R, Lockney T, Zotov A, France DJ, Bennett M, St. Jacques P, Furman W, Randa S, Feistritzer N, Eavey R, Leming-Lee S, Anders S. Novel use of electronic whiteboard in the operating room increases surgical team compliance with pre-incision safety practices. Surgery. 2012 May;151(5):660-6. Epub 2012 Jan 11.
- Zuckerman S, Poon S, Anders S, Bennett M, France DJ. Methodology and Bias in Assessing Compliance with a Surgical Safety Checklist. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety. 2013 February. Vol 39; No. 2. PMID: 23427479.
- Weinger MB, Slagle J, Kuntz A, Banerjee A, Schildcrout J, Mercaldo N, France DJ, Speroff T., Bills J, Wallston K. Improving actual handover behavior with a simulation-based training intervention. Human Factors and Ergonomic Society 54th Annual Meeting, Sept-Oct, 2010.
- France DJ, Anders S. Using Asset Tracking to Study Operating Room Work-Arounds to Blood Delivery and Their Unintended Consequences ASA, Chicago, IL., October 2011.
- France DJ, Levin S, Hemphill R, Han J, Russ S, Aronsky D, Weinger MB. Factors Influencing Time-dependent Quality Indicators for Suspected Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients in the Emergency Department. AHA, Quality of care and Outcomes Research, Washington, DC, May 12-14, 2011.
- Poon SJ, Mainthia R, Lockney DT, Zotov A, France DJ. Implementation of an Electronic Checklist System in the Operating Room Increases Surgical Team Compliance with Pre-incision Safety Practices. IHI International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare. Amsterdam. April 5-8, 2011.
- Burgess H, France DJ, Englebright J, Ely W, Greevy R, Weinger MB, Talbot TR, Wall R, Deshpande JK, Williams MV, Speroff, T. Testing Improvement Strategies in the Critical Care Microsystem for Healthcare Associated Infections (HAI) Prevention in a Large Health System. Microsystems in healthcare - a scientific perspective. March 2, 2011. Qutlturum, Sweden.
- Levin SR, Sauer L, Kelen G, Kirsch T, France DJ, Workload and Situational Awareness in the Emergency Department. IIE Society of Health Systems Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, February 2011.
- France DJ, Levin SR, Sanders N, Patel N, Michaels D, Higgins SM, Human Factors Analysis of a Wireless Clinical Information System for the Operating Room. IIE Society of Health Systems Annual Conference , Orlando, FL, February 2011.
- St Jacques P, France DJ. Integration of an Interactive Stepwise Presurgical Checklist into an Electronic Perioperative Documentation Suite. Society for Technology in Anesthesia (STA) Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV. January 2011.
- Anders S, France DJ, Zotov A, Weinger MB, Booker R, Miller A. Usability Testing of Blood Verification Products Using Simulated Hospital Environments. Society for Simulation in Healthcare, New Orleans, LA, January 2011.
- Ray Booker, France DJ. Society for Simulation in Healthcare. New Orleans, Louisiana. 2011 Jan. Usability testing of blood verification products using simulated hospital environments.
- Paul St. Jacques, France DJ. Society for Technology in Anesthesia (STA) Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, Nevada. 2011 Jan. Integration of an Interactive Stepwise Presurgical Checklist into an Electronic Perioperative Documentation Suite.
- Scott Levin, France DJ. IIE Society of Health Systems Annual Meeting. Orlando, Florida. 2011 Feb. Workload and Situational Awareness in the Emergency Department.
- Dan France. IIE Society of Health Systems Annual Meeting. Orlando, Florida. 2011 Feb. Human Factors Analysis of a Wireless Clinical Information System for the Operating Room.
- Hayley Burgess (HCA), France DJ. Microsystems in healthcare: A scientific perspective. Qutlturum, Sweden. 2011 Mar. Testing Improvement Strategies in the Critical Care Microsystem for Healthcare Associated Infections (HAI) Prevention in a Large Health System.
- France DJ. Quality of care and outcomes research. American Heart Association; Washington, Dist. Of Col. 2011 May. Factors Influencing Time-dependent Quality Indicators for Suspected Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients in the Emergency Department.
- Department of Anesthesiology Annual Research Symposium. 2011 May. Usability Analysis of Positive Patient Identification Systems for Blood Administration.
- Baker C, Jaji, B, Woods M, Anders S, France DJ. Using Hospital Clinical Information Systems to Calculate Turnaround Times for Blood Products: A Case Study. IIE Society of Health Systems Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV, February 2012.
- Jaji B, Baker B, Anders S, Leming-Lee S, Wyatt D, France DJ. Evaluating the Timeliness of Tubed Blood and Cooler Blood Deliveries in Operating Rooms. IIE Society of Health Systems Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV, February 2012.
- Lorinc A, Weinger M, Slagle J, France DJ. Handover Tool Participatory Design and Educational Training Intervention to Improve Perioperative Neonatal Safety. 2013 Anesthesiology Research Symposium, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.