Finding and Using Images
While many sources of biomedical images can be found online, the images found through a web search generally cannot be used by others without explicit permission from their creators due to copyright protection. The Eskind Biomedical Library provides some resources for images that can be used without additional permissions in specific circumstances (such as non-commercial, educational use).
- SpringerImages (formerly imagesMD; use policy)
- MDConsult (see the MDConsult Images section for use policy)
- Mosby's Nursing Consult (see the Nursing Consult Images section for use policy)
- Public Health Image Library (use policy)
- Wellcome Images (use policy)
You may also want to search Creative Commons, which allows content creators to designate their material for reuse along a spectrum from "no rights reserved" to "all rights reserved." You can conduct a search at http://search.creativecommons.org/, or use that page to get an idea of which other sites mark content as having a CC license. For example, see the advanced Google Images search and the advanced Flickr search. For each of these, there is a license option among the advanced search fields.
It is the responsibility of individual users of these and other resources to comply with applicable copyright laws.