Deadline extended on University-wide Limited Submission Opportunity: W.M. Keck Foundation
Vanderbilt University may nominate one candidate for the W.M. Keck Foundation Medical Research Program and one candidate for the Science and Engineering Program for 2013. These awards provide $1 million over three years for investigators focusing on important and emerging areas of research.
The W.M. Keck Foundation seeks to support pioneering discoveries in medicine and in science and engineering. By funding the high-risk/high-impact work of leading researchers, the foundation is laying the groundwork for new paradigms, technologies and discoveries that will save lives, provide innovative solutions, and add to the understanding of the world. Both senior and early career investigators are encouraged to apply.
Anyone interested in being considered as Vanderbilt’s nominee must submit the following (in PDF format) to LSO@vanderbilt.edu by 5 p.m. on June 10.
- Brief statement of support from department chair/center director;
- Brief CV or NIH Biosketch
- Concept Papers: Single-page concepts for the Medical Research and for the Science & Engineering programs should include:
- An overview of the proposed project emphasizing any unique aspects and pilot studies.
- A brief description of the key personnel and methodologies.
- A brief justification of the need for Keck support.
- An estimated budget broken down, if possible, by major areas, e.g., personnel, equipment, consumable supplies, etc. (Budgets can be rough approximations at this stage).
Authors are free to add other details (e.g., background to put the research into perspective, description of the institution’s prominence in the field, etc.) if there’s room. Avoid illustrations in these single-pagers. The researchers will need all the room for text. If a reference is necessary, abbreviate it as (Science, 323, 45, ‘11). Do not use (Jones et al., 2011).
Submissions should reference the program name in the subject line of the email.
Once received, all proposals will be forwarded to an internal review committee that will choose the final nominees (one for each of the two programs). The chosen nominees will submit a full proposal to the foundation by the Nov. 1 deadline.
If you have any questions about the foundation or its interests and priorities, please contact Vivian Carmichael, executive director, Foundation Relations (firstname.lastname@example.org or 875-4915).