Jan. 1 Commitment Day 5K walk/run benefits Children's Hospital; some streets closed around Vanderbilt
On Jan. 1, 2014, Nashville will host a Commitment Day 5K family fun walk/run benefiting the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt. Commitment Day is a series of 5K events that will take place in 38 cities around the country with the goal of motivating tens of thousands of people to get out and commit to a healthier lifestyle.
All are welcome, whether experienced runners or those for whom this is their first 5K. Encourage your family (those 17 and under are free with a registered adult), friends, co-workers, neighbors and teammates to join you in making a commitment.
The race begins at 10 a.m. at Dudley Field on Jess Neely Drive, with same-day registration and packet pickup beginning at 8 a.m.
On the national level, Commitment Day is affiliated with the American Heart Association; in the Nashville market, 100 percent of the net proceeds from the race will benefit the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt and its “Growing Right Onto Wellness (GROW)” program designed to prevent childhood obesity.
“The GROW project allows us to create an environment that encourages parents to support early childhood growth and development,” said Shari Barkin, M.D., director of the Division of General Pediatrics at Children’s Hospital, who spearheads the GROW efforts. “We’re thrilled to have the support of the local community and align with Commitment Day Nashville to bring awareness to the issue of childhood obesity.”
Road closure information:
At 8 a.m., Jess Neely will close from 25th Avenue South to Natchez Trace.
At approximately 9:30 a.m., these closures will be in place:
• Vanderbilt Place from 28th Avenue South to 31st Avenue South
• 31st Avenue South (Blakemore/Wedgewood) will be coned to allow two way traffic at all times
• 24th Avenue S. from Blakemore to Children’s Way will be coned to allow northbound vehicle traffic
• Children’s Way from 24th Avenue South to Natchez Trace
• 30th Avenue South from Natchez Trace to Dudley
• Dudley from 30th Avenue South to Natchez Trace
• Natchez Trace from 26th Avenue South to 31st Avenue South
All roads will reopen by noon at the latest.