Deadline is March 13 for nominations for Graduate School Founder's Medalists
This year, the nominating programs for the Founder's Medal at the University's Commencement ceremonies in May will be in Biological and Biomedical Science, and nominees will be chosen from the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing and the College of Arts and Science.
The department or program in which the student earns his/her degree must be the nominating entity.
The nominee should have the highest scholarly qualifications. He/she will have completed his/her doctoral degree either in August 2014, December 2014, or May 2015, have performed outstanding, significant and innovative research, and have high expectations of a successful career in the area of their endeavors.
The nomination process within each department/program may follow any reasonable and equitable approach the chair and DGS deem appropriate. The nomination that will be submitted to the Graduate School should at a minimum consist of the following:
- Brief nomination letter by the department chair
- Detailed nomination letter by the DGS
- Candidate's curriculum vitae
- Letter of support from the nominee's dissertation adviser
- Documentation of scholarship (as evidenced by publications or patents/IP)
- A brief (three-to-five minute) video in which the nominee presents and explains his or her research and the significance of the work. Detailed guidelines can be found at: http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/gsc/3mt/. Information that is not ready to be released in the public domain should not be included in the video.
Please note that one of the requirements is that the Founder's Medal recipient must attend the commencement ceremonies in person to receive the award. To this end, a reasonable allowance will be given to cover costs for travel to Vanderbilt if the student is no longer in residence.
A broad-based faculty review committee representing all three schools has been established and all nominations will be reviewed by this committee. The top three nominees chosen through this review will be submitted to the Graduate School for final selection of the Graduate School's Founder's Medal recipient in 2015.
Please compile all documents into one pdf document. The video can be submitted in any standard format (mpeg, quicktime, etc.). All materials should be submitted to the dedicated mailbox Grad_Founders_Medal@vanderbilt.edu.
The timeline for this process is as follows:
Deadline for receipt of nominations: March 13.
Recommendations to the Graduate School: March 22.
For more information, please contact the appropriate senior associate dean: Vicki Greene, Ph.D., for Arts and Science; Ann Minnick, Ph.D., for School of Nursing; and Larry Marnett, Ph.D., for School of Medicine.