Vanderbilt Center for Kidney Disease requests pilot and feasibility proposals
The Vanderbilt Center for Kidney Disease (VCKD) is seeking Letters of Intent for a Pilot project proposal with a deadline for submission on Sept. 20, 2016.
GUIDELINES RELATING TO PILOT AND FEASIBILITY STUDIES:
Pilot studies in any aspect of renal disease research are supported by the VCKD. Such funds must be used for young investigators, investigators from other fields willing to bring their research expertise to nephrology or for investigators currently in the nephrology area whose proposed research would constitute a totally new direction. Pilot support is not intended for established investigators with ongoing research, but is intended to provide support allowing an investigator the opportunity to develop preliminary data sufficient to provide the basis for an application for independent research support through conventional granting mechanisms.
New pilot studies are limited to a maximum of 1 year support. Second year funding award may be available contingent on satisfactory progress in year one. An investigator is eligible for such support only once unless the additional proposed pilot study constitutes a real departure from his/her ongoing research. Awards are up to $40,000/year in direct costs. The funding period will be from July 1- June 30.
To be eligible for a pilot and feasibility study an individual must be a faculty member (rank of Instructor or above) and must fit within the NIH Guidelines for eligibility. Some examples may be helpful.
1) A study proposed by an established investigator who has experience in areas other than nephrology and who wants to test his/her ability to contribute to the nephrology field.
2) A study proposed by a young investigator with an interest in a career in research in nephrology before he/she has yet developed to the point of being able to obtain individual grant support.
3) A study by an established investigator in nephrology who wants to pursue a question in a totally different area from their current research field.
For this Letter of Intent, each applicant should include:
- A Specific Aims page (page 1)
- List of VCKD resources the PI might use for this study (please see attached file)
The completed application should be consolidated into one PDF document and submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sept. 20. A decision about the suitability of the proposed application to be considered as a pilot project will be made by Dec. 1, and further instructions about the application format will be provided at that time.