IBM's University Award Program seeks concept papers
The VUMC Office of Research and the VU Office of the Vice Provost for Research are soliciting concept papers for IBM’s University Award Programs in the following categories:
- Open Collaborative Research – supports strategically important research collaborations between IBM and top universities. Projects should focus on complex topics from any discipline where open collaboration would accelerate innovation and benefit the world. The program promotes development of open sources software, related industry standards and greater interoperability. Awards are monetary donations averaging $100,000.
- Faculty Awards – helps faculty and researchers collaborate with IBM employees in research, development or services groups. Faculty Awards are not contracts, and no intellectual property rights are stipulated as part of the award. Work is strongly encouraged to be placed in the public domain. The goals of these awards are to stimulate growth and exploratory topics, support curriculum innovation in strategic disciplines and regions, and encourage adoption of emerging technologies, IBM platforms and ecosystem. Awards are monetary donations not to exceed $40,000.
- Shared University Research – made to a university as a whole to promote research in areas of mutual interest. This program strives to connect research and researchers at universities to IBM employees in research, development, product labs and service and solution centers. The goals for this program are to seed multiparty collaborations with universities and other organizations, increase collaborative research and sharing of technologies, provide career opportunities for students and address university IT needs
Collaborative, trans-institutional proposals are encouraged. Selected concepts will be presented to IBM representatives in a future site visit. Anyone interested in being considered as Vanderbilt’s nominees must submit the following (in PDF format) to LSO@vanderbilt.edu by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 10. Please see IBM’s website for further awards details.
- Brief (two page maximum) concept paper including budget summary;
- Brief statement of support from department chair/center director;
- CV or NIH Biosketch (not required for the Shared University Research applicants)
Once received, all concepts will be forwarded to an internal review committee for consideration.