Early flu season may mean early masking period, too
In the Nov. 7 issue of MyVUMC, employees were alerted that Influenza season has begun in Middle Tennessee, with confirmed cases of influenza and clinic visits for influenza-like illness on the rise.
Even though VUMC is on track to achieve its influenza immunization compliance date of Dec. 1, the potential for early sustained activity means the Medical Center may be required to start the masking period for all those not vaccinated within a week.
As per VUMC policy, all employees who have received an exemption from influenza vaccination are required to wear a surgical mask in all patient care areas until the influenza season has ended. Once VUMC detects a sustained (for two consecutive weeks) increase in the number of identified cases of influenza, the masking period will begin.
VUMC Human Resources and Occupational Health strongly encourages any remaining staff members to get vaccinated as soon as possible. There are numerous ways to get your flu vaccination. As a reminder, VUMC employees who remain non-compliant with the policy requirements after Dec. 1, will be unable to work based on compliance requirements. For specific compliance requirements for employees visit the Occupational Health website.
- Visit the Occupational Health Clinic (OHC) located in Medical Arts Building, Suite 640. Services are provided free of charge and no appointment is necessary for immunizations from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Attend an Immunization Fair on campus or at Williamson County sites. See the OHC Comes to You for specific details.
- Night shift or off campus? Check the OHC Comes to You calendar for a convenient option.
- If you received your flu vaccine received from a VUMC clinic: Click here to give OHC permission to view your medical record for the sole purpose of documenting flu vaccine compliance.
- If you received your flu vaccine received from an outside vaccinating entity (e.g., a local drug store): Click here to upload a signed note, receipt, vaccination card or other documentation from the outside vaccinating entity stating that you received the flu vaccine at that location or fax your documentation to OHC at 615-936-0966.
- To request an exemption, complete the necessary forms by clicking here.
If you have any questions, please carefully note the list below so that you are connected to the correct party as quickly as possible:
- For questions about compliance or immunization records, please email Occupational Health at email@example.com.