Vanderbilt-wide Limited Submission Opportunity: 2019 Pew-Stewart Scholars for Cancer Research Program
This is a joint competition for VU and VUMC investigators. All investigators should follow these instructions.
Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center may nominate one candidate for the Pew Charitable Trusts' 2019 Pew-Stewart Scholars for Cancer Research Program. This program supports Assistant Professors of outstanding promise in science relevant to the advancement of a cure for cancer. The award provides $300,000 in flexible support — $75,000 per year for a four-year period.
Strong proposals will incorporate particularly creative and innovative approaches in cancer research. Candidates whose work is based on biomedical principles, but brings in concepts and theories from more diverse fields related to cancer, are encouraged to apply. Risk-taking is encouraged. See more here.
This program is distinct from the Pew Biomedical Scholars Program, but candidates may apply to both.
- Candidates must have been awarded a doctorate in a field related to biomedical sciences or medicine.
- As of October 8, candidates must hold full-time appointments at the rank of Assistant Professor. (Associate Professors are not eligible. Appointments such as Research Assistant Professor, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Assistant Professor Research Track, Visiting Professor or Instructor are not eligible.)
- On June 29, candidates must have been in such an appointment for less than three years (not appointed before June 29, 2015), whether or not such an appointment was on a tenure track.
- Qualified candidates should be conducting creative, interdisciplinary, basic, or translational cancer research. This program is not designed to fund clinical trial research.
- The selected candidate may be nominated by Vanderbilt two times in total.
- Funding from the NIH, other government sources, and project grants from non-profit associations do not pose a conflict.
Internal Application Process:
Anyone interested in being considered as Vanderbilt’s nominee must submit the following (in PDF format) to LSO@vanderbilt.edu by 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 24:
- Brief research plan including summary budget (2 page max);
- Statement of support from department chair/center director;
- NIH Biosketch or abbreviated CV (5 page max)
Submissions should reference "PEW-STEWART SCHOLARS" in the subject line of the email.
Following the internal review, the nominee’s name will be submitted to the Pew Charitable Trusts by June 29 and complete application will be due Oct. 8.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to LSO@vanderbilt.edu.