VUMC Limited Submission Opportunity: 2019 Pew Biomedical Scholars Program
These instructions are for VUMC investigators. VU investigators should apply through InfoReady and address any questions to VU-LSO@vanderbilt.edu.
Vanderbilt University may nominate one candidate for the Pew Charitable Trusts' 2019 Pew Biomedical Scholars Award. The award supports Assistant Professors of outstanding promise in science relevant to the advancement of human health. The award provides $300,000 in flexible support — $75,000 per year for a four-year period.
Strong proposals will incorporate particularly creative and innovative approaches. Candidates whose work is based on biomedical principles, but brings in concepts and theories from more diverse fields, are encouraged to apply. Risk-taking is encouraged. See more here.
A directory of past scholars can be found here, including previous Vanderbilt awardees (Lauren Parker Jackson ‘16; Ethan Lee ‘04; David Cortez ‘03).
This program is distinct from the Pew-Stewart Scholars Program, but candidates may apply to both.
- Must have doctorate in biomedical sciences, medicine or a related field
- As of Oct. 15, must hold full-time appointments at the rank of assistant professor. (Associate Professors are not eligible. Appointments such as Research Assistant Professor, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Assistant Professor Research Track, Visiting Professor or Instructor are not eligible.)
- On June 29, must have been in such an appointment for less than three years (not appointed before June 29, 2015), whether or not such an appointment was on a tenure track. Time spent in clinical internships, residencies, or in work toward board certification does not count as part of this three-year limit
- Cannot have been nominated by institution for this award more than once in prior years
- If previously applied through VUMC, may not reapply in a subsequent year from VU.
Internal Application Process:
Anyone interested in being considered as Vanderbilt’s nominee must submit the following (in PDF format) to LSO@vanderbilt.edu by 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 24:
- Brief research plan including summary budget (2 page max);
- Statement of support from department chair/center director;
- NIH Biosketch or abbreviated CV (5 page max)
Submissions should reference "PEW BIOMEDICAL SCHOLARS" in the subject line of the email.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to LSO@vanderbilt.edu.