Two-week Data Management Course Begins March 15
Dear Faculty and Staff:
You are invited to consider enrolling in a two-week course on Data Management. The course is led by Paul Harris, Ph.D., and will meet March 15-26 in Light Hall, room 412. The course is scheduled from 8-10:45 a.m. each day.
The objective for this course is to teach the fundamentals of research data planning, collection, storage, dissemination and manipulation. Several software tools are used, but primary ideas transcend individual software applications and ultimately serve students by providing tools for use in data management for clinical investigation.
Specific topics include:
• Research data management best practices
• Planning for data collection
• Ready-to-use tools for case report form and survey data capture
• Database theory and design principles
• Practical methods of data exchange – using public databases
• SQL-based extraction + manipulation of DB data
• Data manipulation - general to advanced (Excel)
• Programming methods for repetitive tasks (Excel)
• Best practices for data security
Two academic credits are awarded for participation in this course. Please contact Melanie B. Overton for additional information.
Melanie B. Overton, M.Ed.
Program Manager, Vanderbilt University MSCI
S- 3126A Medical Center North