December 22, 2016

Last year Paul and Wanpen Anderson of Champaign, Illinois, were preparing to celebrate the Christmas holidays with their two children when their 22-year-old daughter, Angela, developed a rare adverse drug reaction called SJS/TEN. "It started with an eye infection on Christmas Eve," Paul Anderson wrote in an online account of his daughter's illness. The severe, immune-mediated reaction swept through her body like wildfire, blistering her skin and internal mucous membranes. She died four days later, on Dec. 28, 2015. Read more...

Allergists say alpha-gal red meat allergy better understood, as numbers continue to increase


Doctors at the Vanderbilt's Asthma, Sinus and Allergy Program (ASAP) have continued to see an increase in the number of patients being treated for alpha-gal syndrome, commonly known as the red meat allergy, and with that increase has come more knowledge about management and treatment of the restrictive allergy. Read more...

Tennessee Poison Center at Vanderbilt warns about danger of button batteries


Toxicologists at the Tennessee Poison Center, housed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, say that adults need to be aware that all too often these little batteries find their way into little people. Read more...

Children's Hospital Pastoral Care department to have Christmas Eve service


A Christmas Eve service of music, carols and scripture will be held Dec. 24 from 5 to 5:45 p.m. Read more...