The Vanderbilt Department of Anesthesiology’s commitment to outreach and philanthropy is historically strong, with demonstrated participation and leadership in international teaching/medical service opportunities, as well as active involvement in numerous community service projects and internal efforts to continually strengthen the department.
One of the department’s most visible outreach initiatives is the Vanderbilt International Anesthesia (VIA) program. Through this program, the faculty, staff, and trainees of the Vanderbilt Department of Anesthesiology are extending the excellence achieved in our missions of patient care, education, and research outside of our hospital and clinic walls to underserved areas around the world.
Departmental Philanthropic Opportunities
It is our goal to continually strengthen and grow our department, as well as the specialty of anesthesiology. This is achieved through the provision of grants to support our investigators; with education initiatives to better educate our trainees; by supporting outreach programs such as VIA; by bringing leaders in our specialty to our campus to share their knowledge and skills; and by rewarding both our faculty and our trainees for exemplary performance and achievement.
Below are specific initiatives within the Department of Anesthesiology:
- Anesthesiology Innovation Grant Program -Funds starter grants for investigator-initiated research.
- Bradley Edgerton Smith Mentorship Award - Annual award to individual who has demonstrated excellence in mentoring a fellow Department member.
- Bradley Edgerton Smith Lectureship * - Annual lectureship on professionalism in medicine.
- BH Robbins Lectureship - Annual lectureship in anesthesiology.
- BH Robbins Scholars Program – Provides stipend for a research fellowship program.
Current BH Robbins Scholars & Mentors
- Dila Vuksanaj Memorial Fund for Resident Education * – Awarded to the resident who demonstrates the best overall performance in pediatric anesthesiology.
- James Phythyon Lectureship *- Annual lectureship in pediatric anesthesiology.
- James Tayloe Gwathmey Award - Annual award for exceptional academic potential given to a Vanderbilt medical student entering the specialty of anesthesiology.
- Miscellaneous Donations – Gifts can be specified for any named division of the department.
- Pittinger Prize for Research - Annual award is given to Department members for excellence in research.
- Resident Education Fund - Provides support for education program development in the Department.
- Residents’ Library Fund – Supports improvements in the Pittinger Memorial Library and Learning Center.
- Roger England Research Training Award and Fund - Annual award recognizing exceptional contributions by research support staff.
- Sandidge Pediatric Pain Management Endowed Fund * – Honors outstanding clinical or research work that advances the practice of pediatric pain management.
- Vanderbilt International Anesthesia – An international education, outreach and service program.
- Volker Striepe Teaching Award - Annual faculty award for excellence in teaching.
* Denotes successful endowment