Serk In Park, D.D.S., Ph.D.
D.D.S., Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, 1999
Ph.D., University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 2008
Medicine and Cancer Biology
- Bone marrow-derived cells in the tumor microenvironment
- Metastatic bone microenvironment
- Prostate cancer bone metastasis
Dr. Park joined the VCBB in June 2012, bringing his expertise on prostate cancer bone metastasis. The Park Laboratory investigates how the bone marrow cells contribute to the progression of prostate cancer growth and metastasis.
- Murine tumor models: orthotopic prostate, intra-cardiac, or intra-tibial inoculation of tumor cells
- Flow cytometric analysis of the bone marrow cells
- Histological analyses of bone and tumor
Current Research Support:
Start-up, Vanderbilt University, 2012
Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Research Program, 2012 'Activation of Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells in Bone Marrow'
- Zhang H, Yu C, Dai J, Keller JM, Hua A, Sottnik JL, Shelley G, Hall CL, Park SI, Yao Z, Zhang J, McCauley LK, Keller ER. Parathyroid hormone-related protein inhibits DKK1 expression through c-Jun-mediated inhibition of beta-catenin activation of the DKK1 promoter in prostate cancer. Oncogene. 2013; (in press)
- Jin R., Sterling JA, Edwards JR, Degraff DJ, Lee C, Park SI, Matusik RJ. PLoS One. 2013; 8(4):e60983.
- Ding X, Park SI, McCauley LK, Wang CY. Signaling Between Transforming Growth Factor ß (TGF-ß) and Transcription Factor SNAI2 Represses Expression of MicroRNA miR-203 to Promote Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition and Tumor Metastasis. J Biol Chem. 2013 Apr 12;l 288(15):10242-53.
- Soki FN, Park SI, McCauley LK. The multifaceted actions of PTHrP in skeletal metastasis. Future Oncol. 2012 July; 8(7):803-17. Review.
- Jung Y, Shiozawa Y, Wang J, McGregor N, Dai J, Park SI, Berry JE, Havens AM, Joseph J, Kim JK, Patel L, Carmeliet P, Daignault S, Keller ET, McCauley LK, Pienta KJ, Taichman RS. Prevalence of prostate cancer metastasis following intravenous inoculation provides clues into the molecular basis of dormancy in the bone marrow microenvironment. Neoplasia. 2012 May; 14(5):429-439.
- Park SI, Liao J, Berry JE, Li X, Koh AJ, Michalski MN, Eber MR, Soki FN, Sadler WD, Sud S, Tisdelle SM, Daignault SD, Nemeth JA, Snyder LA, Wronski TJ, Pienta KJ, McCauley LK. Cytophosphamide creates a receptive microenvironment for prostate cancer skeletal metastasis. Cancer Res. 2012 May 15; 72(10):2522-32.
- Park SI, McCauley LK. Nuclear localization of parathyroid hormone-related peptide confers resistance to anoikis in prostate cancer cells. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2012 May 3;19(3):243-54.
- Park SI, Soki FN, McCauley LK. Roles of bone marrow cells in skeletal metastasis: No longer bystanders. Cancer Microenviron. 2011 Dec; 4(3):237-46
- Li X, Liao J, Park SI, Koh AJ, Sadler WD, Pienta KJ, Rosol TJ, McCauley LK. Drugs which inhibit osteoclast function suppress tumor growth through calcium reduction in bone. Bone. 2011 Jun 1; 48(6):1354-61
- Li X, Koh AJ, Wang Z, Soki FN, Park SI, Pienta KJ, McCauley LK. Inhibitory effects of megakaryocytic cells in prostate cancer skeletal metastasis. J Bone Miner Res. 2011 Jan; 26(1):125-34
- Park SI, Kim SJ, McCauley LK, Gallick GE. Preclinical mouse models of human prostate cancer and their utility in drug discovery. Curr Protoc Pharmacol. 2010 Dec1; 51:14.15.1-14.15.27
- Kopetz S, Lesslie DP, Dallas NA, Park SI, Johnson M, Parikh NU, Kim MP, Abruzzese JL, Ellis LM, Chandra J, Gallick GE. Synergistic activity of the Src family kinase inhibitor dasatinib and oxaliplatin in colon carcinoma cells is mediated by oxidative stress. Cancer Res. 2009 May; 69(9):3842-9.
- Kim MP, Park SI, Kopetz S, Gallick GE. Src family kinases as mediators of endothelial permeability: effects on inflammation and metastasis. Cell Tissue Res. 2009 Jan; 335(1):249-59. Review.
- Park SI, Zhang J, Phillips KA, Araujo JC, Najjar AM, Volgin AY, Gelovani JG, Kim SJ, Wang Z, Gallick GE. Targeting Src family kinases inhibits growth and lymph node metastases of prostate cancer in an orthotopic nude mouse model. Cancer Res. 2008 May; 68(9):3323-33. Featured in the Highlights
- Shah AN, Summy JM, Zhang J, Park SI, Parikh NU, Gallick GE. Development and characterization of gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic tumor cells. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007 Dec;14(12):3629-37.
- Zhang J, Park SI, Artime MC, Summy JM, Shah AN, Bomser JA, Dorfleutner A, Flynn DC, Gallick GE. AFAP-110 is overexpressed in prostate cancer and contributes to tumorigenic growth by regulating focal contacts. J Clin Invest. 2007 Oct;117(10):2962-73.
- Park SI, Shah AN, Zhang J, Gallick GE. Regulation of angiogenesis and vascular permeability by Src family kinases: Opportunities for therapeutic treatment of solid tumors. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2007 Sep;11(9):1207-17. Review.