The Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center and the Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences is part of the Vanderbilt Medical Center complex and consequently offers a variety of clinical settings including:
- The Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Pediatric Speech-Language Clinic – Comprehensive diagnostics and management of disorders in the preschool and school-age populations including individuals with speech and language delay/disorders, fluency disorders, feeding and swallowing problems, autism, developmental delays, velo-pharyngeal insufficiency, and those who require augmentative and alternative modes of communication.
- The Pi Beta Phi Rehabilitation Institute – Comprehensive assessments and management of speech, language, and cognitive communication disorders as a result of brain injury or neurologic disorders. Provides opportunities for working with individuals who have suffered aphasia as communication partners.
- The Vanderbilt University Hospital – Acute Speech & Language Services Unit – Bedside assessments and treatment of adults in the acute care setting who are referred for speech, language, cognitive, or swallowing disorders. Includes modified barium swallow studies conducted in the radiology division.
- Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital – Speech, language, and swallowing assessments for neonates and children with medically based disorders in the acute care setting.
- Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center Voice Center – Assessments and treatment of outpatients experiencing voice disorders of a physical or psychogenic nature.
- Vanderbilt Satellite Clinics - focus on pediatric speech and language assessments and treatment in a medical environment.
- The National Center for Childhood Deafness and Family Communication – Assessments and treatments of children with severe and profound hearing loss being treated in a school program with an emphasis on oral communication.
- In addition to the programs within the Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center, opportunities for clinical training exist in local public and private school programs, Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital, the Nashville Veterans Hospital, Tennessee Rehabilitation Center, and other local medical and educational facilities.