As an Inpatient Medicine and Acute Care of the Elderly (ACE) unit at Vanderbilt Medical Center, we are dedicated to our patients by providing quality care with attention to clinical expertise, evidence-based practice, patient safety and positive outcomes. We utilize an interdisciplinary team approach along the continuum of care in an effort to provide balance for the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual needs for every patient and their family. Our interdisciplinary team consists of physicians, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, pharmacists, dieticians, nursing leadership, and educators. We make a difference!
- Serve as a center of excellence for inpatient medicine and geriatric care.
- Serve as a resource and referral center for health care providers throughout the region.
- Provide educational resources, information and skills needed by the patient, family member, and caregiver that will enable patients to function at an optimal level in their community and environment.
- Develop and implement continuous quality improvement programs that promote positive patient outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Vanderbilt Center for Quality in Aging for the development and implementation of new methods and programs for effective, efficient, and compassionate senior care.
- The unit is a 28 bed unit located on the 7th floor of the round wing in Medical Center North with 18 semi-private beds and ten private rooms.
- The patients admitted to the 7th Floor are 17 years of age or older which includes adults and geriatrics.
- There are 10 cardiac telemetry monitoring transmitters available on the 7th floor which can be used for patients for in any patient room on 7RW.
- Adult patients may be admitted with a variety of medical diagnosis involving but not limited to the pulmonary system, oncology, circulatory system, endocrine system, renal system, hematological system, gastrointestinal system, infectious diseases, neurological system, dermatological disorders, and rheumatological disorders.
- As an ACE Unit (Acute Care of the Elderly), we are dedicated to the elderly by providing quality patient care with attention to clinical expertise, providing evidence-based practice, with a focus on patient safety and outcomes.
- Our patients come from greater Nashville metropolitan areas as well as outlying areas of middle Tennessee. Patients are also sent to our unit from other hospitals in western and eastern Tennessee, northern Alabama, and Kentucky.
Scope and Complexity
Diagnoses that which are often treated on the 7th floor, include, but are not limited to: CHF, cancer, diabetes, cellulitis, HIV and related diseases, COPD, pneumonia, cystic fibrosis, hypertension, renal failure, liver failure, sickle cell crisis, atrial fibrillation, syncope, peripheral vascular disease, altered mental status, cerebral vascular accident, seizure disorder, scleraderma, failure to thrive, GI bleed, lupus, multiple sclerosis. The patient population includes, but is not limited to, medicine, geriatric, and occasional trauma, general surgery, urology, or orthopedic surgery overflow patients.