Attendance: Susan Smith, Drea Cox, Barbara Samons, Tom Jefferies, Lynne Damon, Judy Ledgerwood, Kandes Sheats, Jo Gale Ray, Edie Vaughn, Debbie Keim- Trewyn, Judy Privett, Jill Vick, Susan Silver, Clara Collins, Bettie Ferguson, Janet Staley, Rita Warren
Call to Order: 2:02
Absence with regrets: Sharon Smith, Lisa Ellis
Guest: David Posch
Speaker: Members of the Council.
I. Old Business:
A. MCSAC Participation: The Council members discussed ways of increasing the Medical Center staffís participation in the MCSAC. The following was discussed:
1) The University Staff Advisory Councilís (USAC) monthly meetings are very well attended. It is believed that good attendance is due to the continuous support of top administration and their attendance at the monthly meetings (i.e. Kevin Myatt, Lauren Brisky, Chancellor Gee, etc.). In addition, the nature of the work responsibilities of University Central verses the Medical Center affords the University staff the time to attend more meetings. Many of the Medical Center staff work in the clinical setting and find it difficult if not impossible to leave their work stations.
2) The feasibility of the two councilís merging was discussed. However, due to the differences as noted above, it was determined that it would not be feasible for the two councils to merge.
3) The feasibility of joint quarterly meetings was discussed. It was perceived as a good idea but no decision was made.
4) It was suggested that representatives from the MCSAC attend the USAC meetings and provide feedback. It was confirmed that this practice has already been implemented.
5) A representative from the Nurseís Council informed the group that their council basically discuss and address nursing and nurse work life issues.
6) The possibility of changing the time (and date) of the monthly council meetings from 2:00 p.m. to 12:00 noon and providing lunch to the participants was discussed. Lunch could consist of deli trays and drinks. David Posch offered to finance the monthly luncheon. Finding a room in which to meet will be an issue, per President Warren. Janet Staley offered to find a comparable meeting room. David Posch suggested that the council avoid changing the meeting day to a Thursday or Friday due to standing meetings of administration. Holding the meeting on a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday would be better.
B. Crafts Fair Update:
1) Susan Snider informed the council that a crafts fair committee has been established to organize the 2005 crafts fair. She mentioned the committee membersí names and stated that although most of the committee members are council members, any Medical Center staff can participate in the crafts fair. Around the end of April 2005, Susan plans to disseminate a mass mailing advertising the crafts fair in addition to soliciting volunteers. President Warren requested to review the notification prior to its dissemination.
2) Susan stated that a copy of the Vanderbilt Credo will be included in this yearís packet of vendor information. The crafts fair application will consist of a notification to the vendors advising them that they must adhere to the terms of the Credo. It was suggested that the vendor application be reviewed by the institutionís Legal Dept. Susan also stated that vendors have already been contacting her regarding the crafts fair. In addition, she plans to invite Caesarís Restaurant back again this year.
3) Susan suggested that the council provide free parking for the vendors. David Posch offered to investigate the possibility of reimbursing the council for the vendorsí parking expense
C. MCSAC Article Update:
Per Bettie Ferguson, the article regarding the MCSAC has been written and submitted to President Warren for follow-up with Joel Lee. President Warren was not aware that the version she received was the final version. President Warren requested that Bettie resend the article and she will follow-up relative to getting the article published.
D. New Officers for FY 2005-06:
Per President Warren, the council needs to fill all of the officer positions for FY 2005-06 (President, 1st VP, 2nd VP, and Secretary).
Susan Snider suggested that the council establish a Treasurer position to manage the MCSAC funds. Janet Staley clarified that Human Resources manages one operating budget for both councils. Except for Crafts Fair revenues, there is no other source of income for the MCSAC.
II. New Business
A. Future Presentation Topics:
b. Health insurance for retirees;
c. Where are negotiations headed for next year; and
d. Vision insurance.
It was recommended that questions be sent in advance to President Warren for forwarding to Jane Bruce for prior review.
B. Quarterly Meeting w/Administration:
President Warren informed the council that the next meeting with administration is scheduled for 3/24/05.
Meeting Adjourned: 2:45 p.m.
April 20, 2005
On behalf of: Sharon Smith