Associate Professor of Neurology
Dr. Arain attended medical school at the Dow Medical College of the University of Karachi in Karachi, Pakistan and received his M.D. in 1994.
After graduating, he moved to the United States and completed an internship in Internal Medicine at the McLaren Regional Medical Center in Flint, MI, in 1995. He completed a residency in Neurology at Vanderbilt in 1998, after which he completed a fellowship in Epilepsy/Clinical Neurophysiology with Dr. Abou-Khalil.
In 2000, he joined the Vanderbilt faculty as clinical instructor and then in 2001 he became assistant professor of Neurology. He is currently an Associate Professor and Director of EEG laboratory at Vanderbilt. Among the honors that Dr. Arain has accrued while at Vanderbilt are election by medical students to membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha medical education fraternity and election by Neurology faculty to be chief resident in the Neurology Training Program.
Dr. Arain is Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), Diplomat of the American Board of Clinical Neurophysiology (ABCN), Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) in Subspecialty of Clinical Neurophysiology, and Diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) in the Subspecialty of Epilepsy.
My research interests are focused primarily on epilepsy. I have a particular interest in the occurrence of epilepsy in individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. I am interested in epilepsy in elderly patients as it has some unique features than younger adults. I have been involved in research about disparity of care in epilepsy. Other interests are to study seizure effects on heart rhythm, developing EEG scoring software, study quality improvement in epilepsy care.
1. Michael Bestawros, Dawood Darbar, Amir Arain, Bassel Abou-Khalil, Satish R Raj: Ictal Bradyarrhythmia: Heart Rhythm (in publication)
2. Azar NJ, Bangalore-Vittal N, Arain A, Abou-Khalil BW: Tiagabine-induced stupor in patients with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: Nonconvulsive status epilepticus or encephalopathy? Epilepsy and Behav.2013 Mar 21;27(2):330-332.
3. Halford J, Schalkoff R, Zhou J, Benbadis S, Tatum W, Turner R, Sinha S, Fountain N, Arain A, Pritchard P, Kutluay E, Martz G, Edwards J, Waters C, Dean B: Standardized Database Development for EEG Epileptiform Transient Detection: EEGnet Scoring System and Machine Learning Analysis (Journal of Neuroscience Methods. 2012 Nov 19;212(2):308-316
4. Hasan H. Sonmezturk, Amir M. Arain, Juliann Paolicchi, Bassel W. Abou-Khalil: Similar Response to Anti-epileptic Medications among Epileptic Siblings. Epilepsy Res. 2012 Feb;98(2-3):187-93.)
5. Amir M. Arain, Yanna Song, Nandakumar Bangalore-Vittal, Shahid Ali, Shagufta Jabeen, Nabil J. Azar: Long term Video-EEG Prevents Unnecessary Vagus Nerve Stimulator Implantation in Patients With Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures. Epilepsy and Behav.2011;21(4):364-6)
6. Zubair S, Patton T, Smithson K, Sonmezturk HH, Arain A, Abou-Khalil B; Propofol Withdrawal Seizures - Non-Epileptic Nature of Seizures in a Patient with Recently Controlled Status Epilepticus. Epileptic Disord.2011 Mar;13(1):107-10)
7. Jonathan J Halford, MD;William B Pressly, BS; Selim R Benbadis, MD;William O Tatum, MD;Turner P Robert, MD; Amir Arain, MD; Paul B Pritchard, MD;Jonathan C Edwards, MD;Brian C Dean,PhD.:Web-based Collection of Expert Opinion on Routine Scalp EEG: Software Development and Inter-rater Reliability. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2011 Apr;28(2):178-84.
8. Fariba Farhidvash, M.D.; Pradumna Singh, M.D.; Bassel W Abou-Khalil, M.D.; Amir M. Arain, M.D.: Exploratory study of disparity of care in patients visiting the emergency room for seizures. Seizure 2009;18(9):644-647.
9. C Dong, M.D., S Sriram, M.D. D Delbeke, M.D., M Al-Kaylani, M.D., A Arain, M.D., P Singh, M.D., M McLean, M.D., Ph.D., B Abou-Khalil, M.D.: Aphasic or Amnesic Status Epilepticus Detected on PET but not EEG- Case Series of Five Patients. Epilepsia. 2009 Feb;50(2):251-5.
10. Amir M. Arain, Patrick Arbogast and Bassel W. Abou-Khalil.: Utility of daily supervised hyperventilation during long term video-EEG monitoring. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology. 2009 February;26(1): 17-20.
11. Amir Arain, M.D. Aley M Hamadani, BS; Shahidul Islam, M.D. Bassel Abou-Khalil, M.D.: Predictors of Seizure Remission after Diagnosis of Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures. Epilepsy Behav. 2007 Nov;11(3):409-12.
12. Amir Arain, M.D., Bashir Shihabuddin, M.D. Faiz Niaz, M.D., Pradeep Modur, M.D.ï€¢, Henry Taylor, M.D, Toufic Fakhoury, M.D., Bassel Abou-Khalil, M.D.: Epilepsy and the impact of an Epileptology clinic for patients with Mental Retardation and associated disabilities in an Institutional setting. Epilepsia 47(12):2052-2057, 2006
13. Edgard O. Andrade M.D., Amir Arain M.D., Beth A. Malow M.D.: Partial Epilepsy Presenting as Apneic Seizures without Posturing. Pediatric Neurology 2006 Nov;35(5):359-62.
14. George R. Lee, M.D., M.S., Amir Arain, M.D., Noel Lim, M.D., Bassel Abou-Khalil, M.D.: Rhythmic Ictal Non-Clonic Hand (RINCH) Motions: a Distinct Contralateral Sign in Temporal Lobe Epilepsy Associated with Dystonic Posturing. Epilepsia. 2006 Dec;47(12):2189-92.
15. Victoria L. Morgan Ph.D, Ronald R. Price M.D, Amir Arain M.D, Pradeep Modur M.D, Bassel Abou-Khalil M.D.: Resting Functional MRI with Temporal Clustering Analysis for Localization of Epileptic Activity without EEG. NeuroImage. 2004 Jan;21(1)473-81.
16. J.A. Cohen, A. Arain, P.A. Harris, D.W. Byrne, M.D. Holzman, K.W. Sharp, and W.O. Richards.: Surgical trial investigating nocturnal gastroesophageal reflux and sleep (STINGERS) Surgical Endoscopy 2003 Mar;17(3):394-400.
17. Amir Arain M.D, Bassel Abou-Khalil M.D, Harold Moses M.D.: Hashimoto's encephalopathy: documentation of Mesial TemporaI seizure origin by ictal EEG. Seizure; 2001 Sep;10(6):438-41.
ON-GOING CLINICAL RESEARCH
Co-investigator and consultant to clinical trial: “Surgical Trial investigating Nocturnal Gastro Esophageal Reflex and Sleep (STINGERS),” funded by a grant from Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons.
“Tissue Plasminogen Activator in acute stroke”, Sub-investigator with Dr. Howard Kirshner, Vanderbilt University.
“Clomethiazole in acute stroke”, Sub-investigator with Dr. Howard Kirshner.
“Clinical Experience and use of vigabatrin in patients with partial seziures.” Marion-Merrell-Dow Inc. (protocol VGPR0098). Sub-investigator, July 1998-present.
“A long-term, open label, multi center study of safety and efficacy of UCB L059 (levetirecetam) 500mg. tablets at individualized oral doses ranging from 100mg/d to 4000mg/d in the treatment of epilepsy.” (ucb Pharma protocol RPCE96A2201) Sub-investigator since July1998-present
“ A 12 to 16 week open label, multicentered study of the safety and efficacy of oral treatment with levetiracetam (ucb L059) at individualized doses up to 3000 mg/day (500mg tablets bid) in pretreated refractory epileptic patients.” ucb Pharma (Protocol RPCE97E2802-N153) Sub-investigator, July 1998-present
“A randomized Placebo controlled double blind study of the efficacy and safety of losigamone in patients with inadequately controlled partial seizures.” Schwabe, (Protocol # LSG1). Sub-investigator, July 1998-present
“A multicenter, long-term extension phase of oxcarbazepine in patients with uncontrolled partial onset seizures.” Novartis (protocol # 47680-02-026) Sub-investigator, July1998-present
“A multicenter, randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled, parallel add-on trial of oxcarbazepine tablets in children with inadequately controlled partial-onset seizures followed by an open label, long-term extension phase.” Novartis. Sub-investigator July 1998-present
“ Multicenter, open label, long term, extension phase of oxcarbazepine in patients with recent onset partial seizures.” Novartis ( Protocol #47680-02-025) Sub-investigator , July 1998-present
“Pregabalin inpatient monotherapy trial: A double blind, placebo controlled, multicenter study in patients with refractory partial epilepsy.” Parke-Davis ( Protocol 1008-007) Sub-investigator , November 1998-present
“ Pregabalin open label, follow up on safety trial in patients with refractory partial epilepsy.” Parke-Davis ( Protocol 1008-007) Sub- investigator, July 1998-present
“Pregabalin add-on trial: a double blind, placebo controlled, multicenter study in patients with partial seizures.” Parke-Davis ( Protocol1008-1009).Sub-investigator, July 1998–present
“Pregabalin open-label add-on trial: an open-label, multicenter follow-on study to determine long term safety and efficacy in patients with partial seizures.” Parke-Davis ( protocol 1008-010) Sub-investigator, July 1998-present
“An open label, randomized comparison of add-on lamotrogine or valproate/carbamazepine withdrawing to monotherapy in patients with treatment-resistant epilepsy.” Glaxo-Wellcome (Lamictal 133). Subinvestigator, July 1998-present
“ Multicenter, double blind, randomized, parallel group study comparing the safety and efficacy of 3000mg of levetiracetam to 1000 mg of valproate used as monotherapy in epileptic patients with complex partial seizures.” ucb Pharma Inc. (PCE 98B 2501-N158)
“ Multicenter open label long term follow up study of the safety and efficacy of levetiracetam (1-4G /DAY) in epilepsy subjects with partial seizures.” ucb Pharma Inc. ( RPCE 99K 0602-N01006)