• All information regarding scheduled conferences, presentations, and teaching sessions for any given month will be distributed via e-mail. Everyone is responsible for checking his or her e-mail for such information.
• If a resident misses a scheduled presentation, he/she will be assigned an additional one, as arranged by the Chief Resident.
• The resident will be excused from rotational duties to attend Continuity Clinic one half-day per week. This scheduled day of the week will change yearly. Coverage for inpatient duties should be shifted to another same-year resident who does not have a concurrent CC clinic.
• Residents calling in sick, or who have an emergent situation (i.e. family emergency), must notify the Chief Resident by pager as soon as possible. Only in an emergency situation will the Chief Resident assign another resident to cover. For pre-planned absences such as educational meetings, doctor’s appointments, etc., it is up to each resident to arrange appropriate coverage.
• All residents are required to attend Grand Rounds.
• All residents are required to attend the noon educational conferences, unless emergent patient care issues occupy him or her. Lunch will be provided for most conferences.
• Attendance at other scheduled conferences or seminars may be required, as they are arranged later in the calendar year.
• Additional lectures or clinical duties may be assigned to residents who are habitually absent at conferences, at the discretion of the Program Director and Chief Resident.
• All residents are required to take the Resident-In-Training Examination (RITE) held in the spring of each year.
• Vacations may not be taken during required rotations (e.g. inpatient services, consultation services, etc.) or on the day of the RITE exam.
• Vacation and schedule requests are not guaranteed, and may not be honored due to scheduling conflicts. Nevertheless, every effort will be made to accommodate those requests within the constraints of the scheduling process.
The neurological services that are housed in each building are listed below:
• The Vanderbilt Hospital: Inpatient General Neurology, Inpatient Stroke Neurology, Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, Neuro-Critical Care
• The Vanderbilt Clinic: Neurology Clinic, EEG, EMG, EP
• Medical Center North: Neuropathology, Neuroradiology
• Medical Center North: Neurology Administrative Offices
• MRB I, II, III: Research labs
• Psychiatric Hospital
• VA Hospital Neurology Service and Clinic
Outpatient Neurology Clinic: 3rd floor of The Vanderbit Clinic (TVC)
Clinic Scheduling: 936-0060
• RADIOLOGY: located on the first floor of the hospital. Films may be reviewed online.
• EEG: located in the basement of TVC.
• EMG/NCS: located in the basement of the Preston Research Building
• Carotid Doppler: Read by stroke neurologists
Satellink Pagers can be obtained from Pam Lane Medical Center North. Pager assistance, malfunction or replacement, via Satellink Communications Company located in the lobby of Medical Center North. (322-6477)
Text messages may be made using the following website: http://www.satellink.net/send_message.html
You can retrieve your messages using the following code: Call your pager number then enter 147014#.
Computer Access & Training
• STARPANEL Digital medical records (instructions)
• WIZ: Online physician orders
• SECURE ID: Access to Starchart from outside the hospital. Cost $75.00 per year. (Department does not pay for this service.)
Library: Recent journal articles can be obtained online. Older journal articles can be obtained at the Library. If the Library does not have the article online or catalogued it may be ordered via Document Delivery Service online. Website: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/diglib/
Cafeteria, located on the second floor of The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC). It is open from 6 AM to 2 AM.
Take-out from several area restaurants
• VUMC homepage: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/index.html
• Neurology Department: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/neurology/
• Digital Library: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/diglib/
• Secure ID: https://star.mc.vanderbilt.edu/cgi-bin/star/star.cgi
• Satellink: http://www.satellink.net/send_message.html
• Human Resources: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/HRS/hrs.htm
• Map: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/health/overview_map.html