As the weather becomes cooler and furnaces are turned on, it's important to prevent carbon monoxide posoning. Below is some important information from TPC and the Tennessee Department of Health:
- Never use a gas generator inside your home, garage, carport, basement, crawlspace or near a window, door or vent. Generators should be used at least 15 feet away from a building.
- Do not use a gas or kerosene heater inside a home or other building.
- Do not use a gas range or oven to heat your home.
- Do not use a gas or charcoal grill indoors.
- Do not burn charcoal in your fireplace.
- Do not leave a vehicle running in a garage when the door is closed.
- Do not use power equipment in the garage.
If carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected:
- Turn off possible sources of the gas.
- Go outside and get fresh air.
- If someone is unconscious, open doors and windows.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide could be similar to common colds or season flu:
- Shortness of breath
Call the Poison Help hotline at 1-800-222-1222 for immediate first aid treatment advice. All calls are fast, free, and confidential. For life-threatening carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911.
TENNESSEE POISON CENTER (TPC)
Tennessee Poison Center (TPC) is a comprehensive poison resource center located on the campus of Vanderbilt University Medical Center. We are the statewide poison emergency information and resource center for the public and health care professionals.
Tennessee Poison Center is certified as the statewide poison control center by the Tennessee Department of Health and is certified by the American Association of Poison Control Centers.