.
 

Halloween Safety Tips

Halloween should be a fun time for children. However, there is potential for danger. Listed below are Halloween safety tips for adults with young children.
Treats                                                                                                                                                                                                              Feed children before trick-or-treating and give them some candy from home while trick- or-treating to avoid the temptation to eat from their bags.
Inspect all treats before the kids eat them. Eat only treats in original and unopened wrappers. If wrappers are faded, have holes, tears or signs of rewrapping, throw them away. Throw away all unwrapped candy or treats
Allow your child to eat such items only if from someone you know and trust. Check fruits and homemade goodies for foreign objects that may have been inserted or injected, including pins, metal needles or razor blades. Cut fruit into several sections to check for foreign objects.
Consider giving non-edible treats such as stickers, pencil sharpeners, small toys, or pencils.
Pets                                                                                                                                                                                                        Be mindful of pets. Some treats, such as chocolate, can be poisonous to dogs and cats.
Glow Sticks                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Glow sticks and necklaces are popular to help illuminate at night during Halloween. The sticks and necklaces occasionally break or children chew them open. If the contents get on the skin, it can cause irritation and dermatitis. If the contents come into contact with the eyes it can cause severe irritation and cause the eyes to water. Oral ingestion of the contents can cause nausea and burning.
Dry Ice                                                                                                                                                                             Be wary of dry ice. While dry ice is a great special effect for a party, keep small pieces of it out of individual drink glasses. When swallowed, oral burns (actually tissue destruction from freezing) may occur. Immediate dilution is recommended.
Dry ice can cause frostbite if it comes in contact with the skin or mouth. Having dry ice in punch is not a problem as long as ice is not swallowed. Direct contact with the skin can also cause tissue damage. Wash skin immediately with lukewarm water. If exposure occurs call Tennessee Poison Center.
Makeup                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Look for non-toxic designations when choosing Halloween makeup. Other products may contain emollient laxatives, talc or hydrocarbons which can cause problems. If any makeup is swallowed, treatment depends on amount ingested, ingredients and symptoms. Call the poison center.
If you suspect a poisoning, call Tennessee Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222. All calls are fast, free of charge, and confidential.

This page was last updated April 7, 2014 and is maintained by