The ROCU is located in the Radiology Department at VUH (room 1060) and serves inpatients and outpatients undergoing a variety of interventional procedures and radiology studies. This area provides 10 patient beds for Radiology patients. Nurses in the ROCU care for patients before and after their procedure. Recovery post procedure may include simple post procedure observation to anesthesia recovery for complex care patients.
Radiology Nurses may be reached at 343-2400 to call report or communicate pertinent patient information.
Patient and family education is an important part of Radiology nursing. Patient educational discharge instructions are listed on E Docs under Radiology for use for inpatients and outpatients.
Radiology Procedures Utilizing the ROCU:
Nurses administer moderate sedation for biopsies, drain placements, and moderate sedation during MRI studies. Patients receiving moderate sedation must follow sedation guidelines and be NPO for six hours. FYI, patients receiving general anesthesia must be NPO 8 hours prior to administration of general anesthesia.
Important considerations for patients receiving moderate sedation include;
1. Patients' ability to give consent for Moderate Sedation
2. NPO status
3. Airway issues such as sleep apnea, loud snoring, CPAP or BIPAP use or other obstructive airway history
4. Involuntary tremors (these patients require general anesthesia during MRI to supress tremors)
5. High pain threshold or intractable pain which prevents lying in one position for long periods
6. Recreational drug usage (may render sedation attempt ineffective)
7. Inability to lie flat
8. Mental delay, noncompliant patients or patients with uncontrolled claustrophobia should have general anesthesia scheduled for MRI
Related Policies for Radiology
Guidelines of Care and Practice: Radiology Patients CL 30-02.03
Hand-Off Communication, CL 30-08.04
Blood Product Administration, CL 30-07.06
Perclose Vascular Closure Device: Care & Management, CL 30-13.03
Percutaneous Nephrostomy Tube Care, CL 30-15.03
Percutaneous & Tunneled Central Venous Catheters (CVCs): Care & Maintenance, CL 30-07.02
Peripherally Inserted Catheters (PICC Lines) and Midline Catheters (ML), Care & Maintenance, CL 30-07.04