VISITING MEDICAL STUDENTS
Vanderbilt School of Medicine welcomes visiting senior medical students, space permitting, into courses and clinical electives. The visitor must be an enrolled fourth year medical student in good academic standing at a U.S. medical school. Each approved student must be taking the course or elective for credit from his own school provided that the student’s Dean (or designate) confirms the following:
- The coursework, as requested, is approved for this student for credit as a portion of her/his medical school’s required coursework.
- The student must be adequately covered under professional liability insurance and health insurance provided through her/his medical school.
- The student has been immunized against rubeola, rubella, mumps, varicella, polio and hepatitus B. She/he should also have diptheria-tetanus and influenza boosters in accordance with the CDC guidelines. She/he should also have been tested for tuberculosis in the last year.
Visiting students wishing to obtain information regarding enrollment should contact:
Medical Student Clerkship Coordinator
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
1161 Medical Center Drive
Medical Center North, Suite CCC-1121
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
(615) 322-0860 / Fax (615) 322-3764
Vanderbilt will be using the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS), to receive visiting student applications. VSAS can only be used by medical students from U.S. LCME accredited schools. To apply to Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, please complete and send your VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates. You must upload your picture, CV, USMLE Step 1 scores, and transcript for your VSAS application to be complete. We will begin accepting applications on April 1st. Applications are processed 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the rotation.
Visiting students are permitted registration for coursework in the Medical School (if class space is available) with approval of the appropriate department and with concurrence of the course instructor and the Associate Dean of Medical Students. Visiting Students SHOULD NOT contact the course directors directly. All inquiries must be made through the Office of Student Records. Failure to apply through the Office of Student Records will result in denial of credit for the elective. For more information about this program, students should contact:
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
303 Light Hall
Nashville, TN 37232-0248
(615) 322-5894 / Fax (615) 343-2312
No visiting student will be given priority over a Vanderbilt student for course enrollment. Vanderbilt reserves the right to cancel any rotation if the student’s performance is unsatisfactory, or if the safety or health of patients is at risk. It is understood that the visiting medical student is not an employee of Vanderbilt and is not covered under the Vanderbilt Worker’s Compensation Plan.