SNMA 2012-2013 Officers
VMS 1 Liaison
A Look at the Past
2006 was a very successful year for the Vanderbilt chapter of SNMA:
Proposing and initiating an event, "SNMA Founder’s Day," that will be celebrated at SNMA chapters of over the nation on October 4 of every year.
Hosting the Region X conference in October with over 100 attendees
Being named "Chapter of the Year" for Region X at the SNMA National Meeting in Atlanta.
- Having the immediate past president, Muyibat Adelani, named Regional "Member of the Year" for 2005-2006
- Holding 6 regional offices for the 2006-2007 year
- Having one member, Atia Jordan, elected to the National MAPS committee for SNMA
In light of last year’s success, my goals are two-fold: maintenance of excellent programming aimed at making SNMA integral to Vanderbilt and the greater Nashville community; and the introduction of programming that reflects the diversity within SNMA as a chapter, region, and national organization. In order to accomplish these goals, the chapter should continue to:
- Raise awareness about issues facing minorities through educational programs such as lectures, video presentations, and round-table discussions.
- Examine different issues pertaining to the different minority groups, through lectures, videos, panel discussions, etc.
- Mentor minority youth through MAPS to foster and nurture their interest in medicine.
- Encourage SNMA participation on the regional and national levels through conference attendance, poster presentations, planning, and governance.
- Serve the community through health fairs, educational programs, and other places where we can be of service.
- Promote interaction among all students through educational, social, and service activities: continued collaboration with student groups like APAMSA and Medical Students for Choice, and new connections with other student organizations, including, but not limited to, Meharry SNMA and The Alliance for Cultural Diversity in Research.
- Improve formal documentation of SNMA accomplishments through chapter legacies, scrapbooks, and medical center and community media outlets.
News from VMC
- Vanderbilt and AstraZeneca agree to collaborate on neuroscience drug discovery
Chronicle of Higher Education - 1/17/2013
- VUMC and West Tennessee Healthcare announce affiliation agreement
WPLN Nashville Public Radio - 1/17/2013
- Lee Ann Ruffing, director of operations in Children’s Services at the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, named to Emerging Leaders
Nashville Post - 1/17/2013
- Clinical enterprise well prepared for future challenges: Balser
The Reporter - 6/29/2012