Recommended as Primary Text
- Lawrence, Essentials of General Surgery, 4th ed., 2006 (written by surgical educators, specifically for medical students)
- Stone, Current Surgical Diagnosis & Treatment, 12th ed., 2007 (more in depth than Lawrence, but readable over a 10-week rotation)
- Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, 18th Edition, 2007, edited by Dr. R. Daniel Beauchamp, Chairman of Vanderbilt Section of Surgical Sciences, available in electronic format through MD Consult.
- Lawrence, Essentials of Surgical Specialties, 3rd ed., 2006
- Schwartz's Principles of Surgery, 9th ed., 2009
Reference Texts - Suggested Reading
- Kirk, R. M., 2010. Basic Surgical Techniques. 6th ed. Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh & London.
- Romfh, R.F.,1992. Technique in the Use of Surgical Tools. 2nd ed. Prentice-Hall/New York.
- Nealon, T.F., and W. H. Nealon, 1994. Fundamental Skills in Surgery. 4 sub ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company.
- Wind, G.G., 1987. Principles of Surgical Technique, the Art of Surgery. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Link to Wound Closure Manual (Ethicon) (University of PA)