Over 3000 different people have been identified and indexed in these images, including many of the class composites and group images. You can find these people by searching either by keyword, or through the “People Depicted” field available in the advanced search. If the image has been indexed, clicking on the name in the “People Depicted” field of the image will show you other images of that person. Please be aware that a great many of our images have not been indexed, and you may need to use other information to find the person you’re looking for. If you do find someone who is not otherwise indexed, feel free to share that information in the comment box. Our staff will verify this information (if possible) and make it searchable for other users.
All Vanderbilt medical school catalogues (dating from 1894-1895) are available online, together with an alumni catalogue for the combined University of Nashville/Vanderbilt medical departments for the years 1875-1894. These catalogues contain the names of students and descriptions of their courses of study. There is not yet a corresponding collection of catalogues or alumni list for the School of Nursing.
- Terms will be searched exactly as they are entered.
- Search results will contain one or more of the terms searched for, but not necessarily all. Shorter searches will result in fewer results.
- Search results are ranked according to the number of search terms appearing in the results.
- If a search does not bring back any results, try using different terms.
- For more control over your search results, use the advanced search feature.
The advanced search link is located underneath the basic search box.
- Connect search terms with AND to find image records containing all the terms.
- Narrow by specific field to search by date, title, people depicted, or other fields.
- Click “Add a field” to add search terms from separate fields.
- “Filter by Collection” and “Search by Tags” for more options.
Browse by Tags
Click on the “Tags” tab to browse all tags assigned to images.
Contributing to VUMC Through Time
Users are encouraged to add their own images of VUMC and its people through the add your own tab. Before your item is visible on the site, it will have to be approved by Eskind Library staff, which may take up to two business days.
A large number of images in our collections (such as freshman entrance photos) were created for internal purposes and were never intended to be made public. Where the people in these images are still alive, we’ve made the decision to make them available only to other alumni, either in the Schools of Medicine or Nursing. If you are an alum of either the School of Medicine or Nursing, please see our login page for more information on access to these images. Please contact us to make alumni images of you public for everyone.
Questions or Comments
Please contact us with comments, questions or problems using this website.