The Center for Knowledge Management (CKM) team employs a matrix of strategies to foster evidence-based medicine practice, including:
- Provision of databases and other online resources;
- Participation in clinical rounds, provision of targeted support to researchers, and other information services;
- Provision of evidence syntheses created in response to complex clinical queries;
- Development of EBM databases housing evidence syntheses and other online CKM tools for reuse.
The team provides access to a list of commercially-produced evidence-based databases through the Digital Library. This list encompasses critical resources such as UpToDate; Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Review of Effects and Register of Controlled Trials; ACP Journal Club; and links to globally accessible EBM resources such as the National Guideline Clearinghouse. The site also features CKM's internally-developed EBM databases such as the Clinical Informatics Consult Service (CICS) Evidence Based Site, which houses evidence syntheses created in response to complex clinical queries, and the Pathway/Order Set Literature Locator, which contains expert search strategies and literature summaries to support evidence-based development of standardized clinical practice.
Information specialists help students, residents and faculty stay abreast of the latest findings in the literature by actively participating on clinical rounds and providing targeted support to researchers. In addition to working as clinical and research informationists, CKM information specialists participate in multidisciplinary teams throughout the medical center, supporting a variety of programs such as pathways/order sets development, the Institutional Review Board (IRB), and a variety of patient information services. CKM team members contribute vetted personalized patient information links addressing diseases/conditions and lab findings/vital signs to the medical center's online patient portal, MyHealthAtVanderbilt, and the medical center's electronic medical record system, StarPanel. CKM assistance with comprehensive literature reviews is available to researchers developing IRB protocols and to IRB protocol analysts. CKM information experts support Vanderbilt's AHRQ-funded Evidence-based Practice Center's creation of systematic reviews by identifying and evaluating scientific evidence to determine best treatment practices for critical health issues.
To support Vanderbilt's Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA), the CKM team provides expert training and consultation for requests received through StarBRITE: Biomedical Research Integration, Translation and Education online system, a one-stop shop for VMC researchers in need of regulatory, study design, biostatistics, technology, or other support, such as location of data on known single nucleotide polymorphisms (from dbSNP, OMIM, HGVbaseG2P, and other databases) detected via Vanderbilt's DNA Databank.
- Clinical Informatics Consult Service - just-in-time, patient-specific information selected and summarized by information specialists for effective clinical decision-making and evidence-based practice in inpatient and critical care settings
- Diagnostic Management Team Support - evidence support for interdisciplinary teams providing patient-specific interpretations of complex laboratory results
- Evidence-Based Practice Center - our information specialists contribute to AHRQ systematic reviews through the Vanderbilt EPC
- Outpatient Clinical Informatics Consult Service - similar to CICS, providing patient-specific evidence-based summaries to outpatient clinics
- Pathways/Order Set Support - support for the development and revision of evidence-based order sets
- Patient Informatics Consult Service - consumer health information service for patients and their healthcare providers
- Research Informatics Consult Service and IRB Support - support for VUMC research-related activities
- Vanderbilt-Reynolds Geriatric Education Center - contributions to the Reynolds Foundation-funded Geriatric Education Center at Vanderbilt
VUnet ID and password required for access unless otherwise noted
- Diagnostic Management Team Database - electronic database of all complex clinical questions received from the DMTs
- EBM Resources - key resources to support evidence-based practice
- Evidence-Based Site - archive of CICS questions and resultant evidence-based summaries
- Genetics Question Archive - clinical questions and evidence summaries related genetics and disease
- Geriatrics Question Archive - freely available evidence summaries related to the care of geriatric populations; related to the Vanderbilt-Reynolds Geriatric Education Center
- Outpatient CICS Site - archive of OCICS questions and resultant evidence-based summaries
- Pathways/Order Set Literature Locator - archive of completed evidence packets supporting both nursing pathways and clinician-oriented order sets