VUMC Limited Submission Opportunity: 2019 William T. Grant Foundation Scholars Award
VUMC may select one nominee for the William T. Grant Foundation Scholars Program. The award amount is $350,000, distributed over five years, and the goal of the program is to support career development for promising early-career researchers in one of two focus areas: 1) programs, policies, and practices that reduce inequality in youth outcomes and 2) strategies to improve the use of research evidence in ways that benefit youth.
The program funds research and mentoring plans that significantly expand junior researchers’ expertise in new disciplines, methods, and content areas. The foundation recognizes that early-career researchers are rarely given incentives or support to take such risks, so this award includes a mentoring component, as well as an emphasis on community and collaboration. A list of previous awardees can be found here.
- Applicants must have received their terminal degree within seven years of submitting their application. We calculate this by adding seven years to the date the doctoral degree was conferred. In medicine, the seven-year maximum is dated from the completion of the first residency.
- Applicants must hold a tenure-track position.
- Applicants should have a track record of conducting high-quality research and an interest in pursuing a significant shift in their trajectories as researchers.
Internal Selection Process:
Anyone interested in being considered as VUMC’s nominee must submit the following (in a single PDF) to LSO@vanderbilt.edu by 5 p.m. on April 22, 2019
See the program website for recommended components of the Research Plan and Mentoring Plan.
- Research plan (1-2 pages);
- Mentoring plan (1-2 pages);
- Statement of support from department chair/center director;
- NIH Biosketch
Submissions should reference “2019 William T. Grant Foundation Scholars Award” in the subject line of the email. Please contact us at LSO@vanderbilt.edu if you have any questions.