The Vanderbilt Center for Women's Health Opens the Maternal Special Care Unit
The Vanderbilt Center for Women’s Health has experienced tremendous growth in obstetric patients over the last 2 years. We were pleased to attend 3,375 deliveries for FY 2010, an increase of 14 percent more than 2009! In order to better accommodate all the patients who have chosen to deliver here by freeing up more L&D beds, we are proud to announce the opening of the Maternal Special Care Unit (4MSC) on 4 East North Tower!
• The Maternal Special Care Unit (4MSC) consists of 8 beds. It includes a 4 bed OB Triage area (Rooms 4028A-D) and 4 Maternal Special Care beds (Rooms 4034-4037). OB triage patients will include unscheduled obstetrical patients to rule out labor etc who arrive to us from home, the clinics, or ED… and the Maternal Special Care beds will care for undelivered mothers who require continuous fetal monitoring or post partum patients who require a higher level of care than can be provided in the 4 East postpartum area. There are plans to bring 2 more beds on-line in 2011.
• The 4 MSC will be staffed by Labor & Delivery staff and patient care will soon be managed by dedicated Nurse Midwives to expedite the disposition of the patients home, to L&D, or to a Maternal Special Care bed.
• All 4MSC rooms are equipped to provide continuous fetal monitoring which can be viewed centrally and have the ability to handle emergent deliveries.
• The 4MSC Nurse’s Station phone number is #20155, 4” Tube number is 304, 6” Tube # is 802.
• The Nurse Manager for the Maternal Special Care Unit is Nicole Powell (#24203) and the Assistant Nurse Manager is Sandra J Smith (#30529).
• The postpartum unit will consist of the remaining 32 beds on 4 East.