A Vanderbilt University Medical Center Alumni Publication

Vanderbilt Medicine

facebook rss digg

In Memoriam

Remembering those who have passed

January 2011

Joe G. Allison, M.D., HS ’64, died June 7, 2010. He was 79. Dr. Allison graduated from the University of Tennessee Memphis in 1960. He practiced Ob/Gyn for 40 years, delivering more than 7,000 babies. He was a devout UT fan and attended every game possible. Dr. Allison is survived by his wife of 58 years, Dorothy "Dot"; children, Sloan, Stacy, Joseph and John; 10 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

H.R. Anderson, M.D., HS ’51, FAC ’68 – ’88, died May 28, 2010. He was 87. A captain in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War, he was chief of the Medical Service at Stewart Air Force Base Hospital. Dr. Anderson spent 20 years in private practice as an internist and was on the staffs of Vanderbilt, Saint Thomas, Baptist and Parkview Hospitals in Nashville. He was a clinical faculty member of the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. Dr. Anderson was retired from the State of Tennessee where he served as Medical Director of the Division of Chest Disease Control for many years. He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Susan; children, William and H. R.; two grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Ryan Arnold, D.D.S., HS ’03, died Aug. 2, 2010. He was 34. He passed away four days after donating part of his liver to his brother Chad who had PSC, a disease of the liver for which there’s no cure. Dr. Arnold was an orthodontist in Watertown, S.D. He is survived by his wife, Shannon; and three children, ages 1, 4 and 6.

John B. Breinig, M.D., MD ’66, died July 19, 2010. He was 70. He completed his Cardiology specialty training at the University of Alabama in Birmingham after serving two years with the Public Health Service in Washington, D.C. During his years of practice, he was a partner in the Page-Campbell Cardiology Group. While retired, he pursued his interests in music, photography and travel. He is survived by his wife, Mary; children, Miriam and Anne; and his grandchildren.

Richard M. Christian, M.D., MD ’42, died Nov. 24, 2010. He was 93. He served with the mobile Medical Corps of the U.S. Army in the European theatre during World War II. He was recruited by the Duke Foundation to practice Internal Medicine and Hematology at Self Memorial Hospital in Greenwood, S.C. He practiced in Greenwood from 1950 until 1991, when he retired to Fripp Island, S.C. He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Martha; four children, Elizabeth, Margaret, Richard and Thomas; and eight grandchildren.

*Joe G. Cromeans, M.D., MD ’53, died Oct. 24, 2010. He was 82. He and his wife moved to Scottsboro, Ala., in February 1957, and Dr. Cromeans was honored for 50 years of practice at a meeting of the Medical Association of the State of Alabama. "I think I am addicted to helping people," Cromeans said, when asked what had kept him in practice for 50 years. Cromeans delivered more than 4,000 babies and performed countless surgeries on patients in Jackson County and surrounding areas. He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Mary Ann; and children, Gray and Randall.

Calvin H. Curry, M.D., HS ’61, died July 30, 2010. He was 76. Dr. Curry began his medical career as a captain in the U.S. Air Force at Eglin Air Force Base before practicing Ob/Gyn in Tallahassee, Fla., for 45 years. He was a member of many organizations, including the Sons of the American Revolution, Society of Cincinnati, St. Andrews Society and the Sons of Confederate Veterans. He also served on the Board of Directors of Tallahassee State Bank and the Governor's Club, as well as in many hospital leadership roles. Dr. Curry was predeceased by his first wife, Mary Anne, and is survived by his wife, Ann; children, Calvin, John, Margaret and Elizabeth; three stepdaughters; and eight grandchildren.

Ted Eastburn, M.D., MD ’80, FE ’87, died Aug. 17, 2010. He was 56. Dr. Eastburn received his Cardiology fellowship training at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and subsequently teamed with William Frist, M.D., former Senate Majority Leader, in establishing the university’s heart transplant program. Dr. Eastburn joined Pikes Peak Cardiology in Colorado Springs in 1991 and became a senior partner. He served as City Councilman for the City of Colorado Springs from 1999 – 2003 and ran for mayor at the end of his term. He was well known for his easy disposition and congenial manner.

*Michael A. Gilchrist, M.D. MD ‘68, died Oct. 31, 2010. He was 66. He served with the U.S. Air Force as a flight surgeon during the Vietnam War. He began his career in Chelmsford, Mass., with Medical Associates. For the last 20 years, he had his own pediatric practice. In recent years his son, Mark, joined him in that practice. Dr. Gilchrist was on the staff of Lowell General Hospital for 36 years. He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Carol; two children, Gregory and Mark; and one grandchild.

Richard E. Gordon, M.D., HS ‘72, died Aug. 27, 2010. He was 63. He served 10 years in the U.S. Army reaching the rank of lieutenant colonel before leaving the service in 1989. Dr. Gordon was a well-respected surgeon and his patients appreciated his peaceful demeanor. He fulfilled a lifetime dream of sailing to the South Pacific with his family. He continued sailing every summer, which was the "family activity.” Dr. Gordon is survived by his wife, Patty; children, Madison, Megan, Michelle, Andrew, David, Amy, Luke and Emily; and 13 grandchildren.

Herschel A. Graves Jr. M.D., MD ’48, HS ’48, died Aug. 7, 2010. He was 85. He served as a medical officer in the U.S. Navy for two years. He began practicing General Surgery in Nashville in 1955 with his uncle, James C. Gardner, M.D., and later with Robert N. Sadler, M.D., until 2000. He was a member of the Nashville Academy of Medicine, the Nashville Surgical Society, serving as President in 1979, and many other organizations. He served as president of the American Cancer Society. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Ann. He is survived by his wife, Bobbi; children, Alice, Elizabeth, Miller and H. Andy; and eight grandchildren.

Samuel T. Haddock, M.D., HS ’61, died June 19, 2010. He was 80. Dr. Haddock practiced Pediatrics in Anderson, S.C., for 50 years. He was predeceased by his daughter, Julia, and is survived by his wife, Doris; children, Ellen, William and Samuel; and seven grandchildren.

Halcott T. Haden, M.D., MD ’50, died June 11, 2010. He was 83. He served as a medical officer in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean Conflict. Dr. Haden joined the staff of the McGuire Veterans Administration Hospital in Richmond, Va., in 1957, where he served as chief of the Hematology section, acting chief of medical service, and then as chief of the nuclear medicine service until his retirement in 1989. He also served on the faculty of the Medical College of Virginia as associate professor of Internal Medicine and associate professor of Radiology. Dr. Haden is survived by his wife, Phyllis; children, Adrienne and Janet; and three grandchildren.

Pratt Irby, M.D., MD ’36, died July 23, 2010. He was 97. Dr. Pratt served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was awarded the Bronze Star for meritorious service. Following the end of World War II, Pratt completed a Urology residency at the University of Tennessee in Memphis, Tenn. He then returned to Fort Scott, Kan., and practiced Urology until his retirement in 1984. Dr. Pratt was also known as an avid trumpet player. He was preceded in death by his wife of 61 years, Pauline, and is survived by children, Robert, Mary and Janet; and four grandchildren.

*David T. Karzon, M.D., FAC ’68 – ’10, died Aug. 26, 2010. He was 90. Dr. Karzon was a professor of Pediatrics emeritus, chair of the Department of Pediatrics at Vanderbilt University Medical Center from 1968 to 1986, and the founder of Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital, now the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt. He bridged the gap existing among Vanderbilt and the community pediatricians and persuaded the Junior League to join forces with him. He started the Friends of Children’s Hospital volunteer organization and under his auspices, the Iroquois Steeplechase began donating their proceeds to the Children’s Hospital. He held faculty positions at Johns Hopkins and at State University of New York at Buffalo before coming to Vanderbilt in 1968. Karzon’s legacy continues today at Vanderbilt. John A. Phillips III, holds the David Karzon Chair in Pediatrics and The David Karzon Award is presented each year to the resident at the Children’s Hospital who best exemplifies Karzon’s natural curiosity, love of science and dedication to research. Dr. Karzon is survived by his wife, Allaire; children David and Elizabeth; and three grandchildren.

J. Frederic Kolhouse, M.D., HS ’68, died June 17, 2010. He was 67. Dr. Kolhouse was a physician at Anschutz Cancer Center of the University of Colorado Hospital, specializing in Hematology and Oncology since 1977. From 1972 to 1974, he served as a lieutenant commander of the U.S. Navy at Naval Hospital Memphis in Millington, Tenn. He served as director of the University of Colorado Clinical Cancer Center from 1999 - 2010 and as chairman of the board of directors of the Clinical Cancer Center from 2003 - 2010. Dr. Kolhouse also received an abundance of awards, including the J. William Hillman Award for excellence in teaching at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine in 1971. He is survived by his children, Ronald, Christopher and Nicole; and two grandchildren.

Andras Kollar, M.D., Ph.D., HS ’98, FE ’99, died May 10, 2010. He was 52. Dr. Kollar had been a cardio-thoracic surgeon at the University of Texas Medical Branch since 2003. He recently received tenure and was promoted to associate professor in the Department of Surgery. He was also a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. He completed his medical training in Hungary and later in Great Britain, Germany and France. He began his training in the United States in 1994. He served in residencies in Charlotte, N.C., Buffalo, N.Y., and finally at Vanderbilt, where he completed his fellowship in Cardio-thoracic Surgery. He is survived by his wife Debbie; and children, Anna, Eszter, Balint and Warren.

Stewart “Pat” Lawwill Jr., M.D., MD ’50, died Sept. 26, 2010. He was 83. Dr. Lawwill began his practice with his father in 1955, eventually joining Chattanooga Eye Associates, which became Chattanooga Vision Center. He was instrumental in the residency program of Baroness Erlanger Hospital, later University of Tennessee Medical School of Chattanooga. He helped design the Erlanger Eye Clinic and the Miller Eye Center. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Alice; children, Stewart, Elleanor, Mary Margaret; and six grandchildren.

Jay F. Lewis III, M.D., MD ’58, HS ’58, died June 2, 2010. He was 78. He served in the U.S. Navy, achieving the rank of lieutenant commander. He was a Pathologist in private practice at Erlanger Health System in Chattanooga, Tenn., for more than 36 years and was a professor at University of Tennessee College of Medicine. Dr. Lewis was involved in the formation of the St. Jude Children's Hospital local chapter and the Ronald McDonald House. He was preceded in death by two sons, Jay and David, and is survived by his wife of 53 years, Joy; children, William, Robert, Elizabeth and Barbara; and two grandchildren.

Joseph B. Longino, M.D., MD ‘43 died Nov. 13, 2010. He was 92. He was a lieutenant in the U.S. Army and joined his father in medical practice in Sulphur Springs, Texas, in 1947. He believed that the highest calling of a man is to be of selfless service to others. This he displayed in his own life caring deeply about his patients' well-being. Frequently, he would make house calls to patients' homes in the ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s, up to his retirement. Dr. Longino was preceded in death by his wife, Joan, and their daughter, Stephanie. He is survived by his son, Joseph, and three grandchildren.

Steven E. Mayer, Ph.D., visiting professor, died June 29, 2010. He was 81. After earning a Ph.D. degree in Pharmacology at the University of Illinois, Chicago, he performed postdoctoral work at the National Institutes of Health and at Washington University. In 1985, he relocated to Nashville as visiting professor in Pharmacology at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine until he retired in 1995, as Professor Emeritus at the University of California at San Diego. Dr. Mayer is survived by his wife of 22 years, Elaine; children, Stephanie and Alex; stepdaughter, Kate; and four grandchildren.

Robert W. McCollum, M.D., HS ’49, died Sept. 13, 2010. He was a prominent infectious disease researcher who was involved in the development and field trials of several vaccines, including polio and hepatitis B. He conducted research and taught at Yale, became dean of Dartmouth Medical School in 1982 and played a key role in the creation of the newly integrated Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H. Dr. McCollum was the husband of psychotherapist and author Audrey McCollum. He is also survived by his children, Cindy and Doug; and two grandchildren.

Jeff R. Moore, M.D., MD ’53, died July 17, 2010. He was 81. Dr. Moore served as a captain in the U.S. Army from 1955-1957. He went to Amarillo, Texas, in 1961 as the first plastic surgeon in the northern tri-state area of Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico. His practice focused primarily on reconstructive surgery, repairing birth defects, the damage of burns and industrial and motor vehicle accidents. He retired in 1998. He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Valee; children, Ruthann, Jeff and Christina; and five grandchildren.

Chelsea Jane S. Nevitt, M.D., HS ’93, died July 15, 2010. She was 45. Dr. Nevitt founded and practiced at Wall Street Internal Medicine in Jeffersonville, Ind., from 2000 until the onset of her illness in September 2009. She is survived by children, Jessica and John; her mother, Dorcas "Sam"; and her ex-husband and friend, John S. Nevitt.

John L. Norris, M.D., FAC, died Oct. 2, 2010. He was 91. He completed a shortened internship and joined the U.S. Army, serving as a medical officer. Dr. Norris embarked on a career in academic medicine at Cornell Medical College. In 1957, he accepted a position at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. He taught anatomy at Vanderbilt and then at Meharry Medical College. He retired from Meharry in 1997 at age 78. Dr. Norris thoroughly enjoyed his interactions with bright, enthusiastic medical students and relished the opportunity to help them master skills and knowledge critical to their work as healers. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Margaret Norris, M.D.; children, John Jr., Tom, Charles and Edith; and six grandchildren.

Robert A. Partain III, M.D., BA ’56, MD ’59, died May 25, 2010. He was 75. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army based at Fort Lee,Va., and co-founded Neurosurgical Associates in San Antonio, Texas, where he worked to restore health and comfort to many people. He was past president of the Rocky Mountain Neurosurgical Society, was an avid fan of the San Antonio Spurs, and a season-ticket holder from their inaugural season. Dr. Partain is survived by his wife, Brenda; children, Robert and Geoffrey; and four grandchildren.

Charles L. Pope Sr., M.D., MD ’45, died May 14, 2010. He was 79. He served as a physician in the military, ending his service at MacDill Air Force Base. In their medical partnership, Dr. Pope and Victor Knight, M.D., practiced Internal Medicine in Tampa, Fla., from 1951 to 1987, serving Tampa General, St. Joseph Hospital and Memorial Hospital. Dr. Pope served as associate chief of staff at Memorial Hospital and held various officer positions in the Hillsborough County Medical Association. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Rosa, and is survived by his wife, Mary; children, Patricia, Charles and Henry; stepchildren, Pat and Paul; 13 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Willem K. Rivenburg, M.D., HS ’74, died June 6, 2010. He was 58. In 1977 Dr. Rivenburg began private practice in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., where he was director of respiratory therapy at Hutcheson Medical Center and chairman of infection control and intensive care. He returned to Columbus, Ohio, in 1986, where he was an instructor in Pharmacology, before settling in Indianapolis in 1987. He continued his practice of internal medicine and critical care and was affiliated with Methodist Hospital / Clarian Health until his retirement in 2006. Dr. Rivenburg is survived by his wife, Kathleen; and children, Richard, Albert and Ann.

Samuel E. Scott, M.D., MD ’57, died Oct. 12, 2010. He was 81. Dr. Scott was a Korean War veteran where he was part of the first Army Mash Unit. He retired after 40 years of medical practice in Livermore, Ky., where he served every patient like family. Dr. Scott was a long-term member and past president of the Livermore Lions Club. He also enjoyed hunting and was a member of the N.W.T.F. Greenville Chapter. Dr. Scott is survived by his sister, Eugenia; brothers, Ewart and W. R.; and several nieces and nephews.

David G. Stroup Sr., M.D., MD ’48, HS ’49, died July 7, 2010. He was 87. He served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corp from 1950-1952. Dr. Stroup was board- certified in Ob/Gyn and practiced in Atlanta, Ga., from 1954-1992. After retirement, he and his wife Betty moved to Skidaway Island. In 2003, they moved to Brentwood, Tenn. He was a life member of the American College of Ob/Gyn, Georgia Representative of South Atlantic Conference-Ob/Gyn, President of Atlanta Ob/Gyn, Chief of Staff at South Fulton Hospital in Atlanta, Ga., founding member of Arlington Schools and Adjunct Instructor of Interns for Emory University. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Elizabeth; children, David, Susan and Betty Anne; and four grandchildren.

Richard "Dick" C. Stuntz, M.D., MD ’50, HS ’51, died Aug. 6, 2010. He was 88. Dr. Stuntz was a captain in the U.S. Army. He served as an Ob/Gyn for almost 30 years, and later completed a residency at Johns Hopkins where he subsequently served in the Department of Psychiatry for more than 25 years. Dr. Stuntz enjoyed artistic interests, serving as the director of the Performing Arts Guild in North Carolina. He is survived by his wife of 31 years, Suzanne; children, Dede, Rick, Rebecca, Leah, Peter, Christofer, William and Kristine; 11 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Horton E. Tarpley, M.D., MD ’50, died May 24, 2010. He was 90.

Kwok-Yin S. Yu, M.D., HS ’80, died Aug. 2, 2010. He was 60. Dr. Yu was a native of Guangdong, China, and received his medical training at Kaohsiung Medical College, Taiwan, R.O.C. and Vanderbilt University Medical Center, where he served his residency in Anesthesiology, and a cardiac anesthesia fellowship. Dr. Yu was in practice from 1983 until 2008 in Gadsden, Anniston and Boaz, Ala. He was a retired major and a veteran of the Gulf War as a member of the Army Reserve, serving as a physician. Dr. Yu is survived by his wife, Grace; and children, Felicia, Patrick and Jonathan.

©2009 Vanderbilt Medical Center
Editorial tool created by Vanderbilt Medical Center Web Development
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.