Vanderbilt endowed chair holders honored at event
Vanderbilt endowed chair holders honored at event Eight Vanderbilt University School of Medicine faculty members named to endowed chairs were praised for outstanding leadership in their academic fields and also on campus during ceremonies in September and November 2011, marking the fourth and fifth in a series to honor the contributions of Vanderbilt chair holders.
The new chairs within the School of Medicine are:
• Timothy S. Blackwell, M.D., Ralph and Lulu Owen Chair in Medicine
• Richard M. Caprioli, Ph.D., Stanford Moore Chair in Biochemistry
• Mark R. Denison, M.D., Craig-Weaver Chair in Pediatrics
• Wael El-Rifai, M.D., Ph.D., H. William Scott Jr. Chair in Surgery
• Arthur Fleischer, M.D., Cornelius Vanderbilt Chair
• Beth A. Malow, M.D., M.S., Burry Chair in Cognitive Childhood Development
• Robert J. Matusik, Ph.D., William L. Bray Chair in Urology
• David Piston, Ph.D., Louise B. McGavock Chair
Jeff Balser, M.D., Ph.D., vice chancellor for Health Affairs and dean of
the School of Medicine, and Richard McCarty, provost and vice chancellor for Academic Affairs, thanked the generous donors for their support.
“The chairs we celebrate today represent both new investments, meaning donations in just the past few years, as well as gifts from many years ago,” McCarty said.