A Vanderbilt University Medical Center Alumni Publication

Vanderbilt Medicine

facebook rss digg

In Memoriam

Remembering those who have passed

January 2010

*Edwin B. Anderson, M.D., MD ‘45, HS ‘47-’48, died May 29, 2009. He was 87. Dr. Anderson served in the Army Air Force at Maxwell Air Force Base. He entered private practice in Internal Medicine, which continued until 1985, when he accepted a position as medical director of Corporate Health Services and the Center for Health and Wellness at Baptist Hospital in Nashville. He retired in 1986. He is preceded in death by his wife, Anna Marie. He is survived by his children, Catherine, William and Edwin; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

John Christensen, M.D., MD ‘67 died June 13, 2009. He was 68. In 1976, Dr. Christensen opened a private practice in Anesthesiology at Saint Vincent’s Hospital in Los Angeles where he also served as the hospital’s chief of Anesthesiology. He is survived by his wife, Sumatra; children, Andrea and Victoria; and two grandchildren.

Worth Daniels Jr., M.D., HS ‘48-’50, died July 9, 2009. He was 84. After graduating from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 1948, Dr. Daniels spent three years at Vanderbilt University Hospital and Thayer Veterans Hospital completing his internship and first-year residency in Medicine. He served as a physician in the Army Medical Corps at hospitals in Germany from 1951 to 1953 and established a private practice in 1958 in Baltimore where he remained until retiring in 1989. He is survived by his wife, Jane; two children, Ann and Jane; and three grandchildren.

Roger Moister Des Prez, M.D., FAC ‘63-’95, died Aug. 28, 2009. He was 82. Dr. Des Prez was chief of Medicine at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Nashville and professor of Medicine and Nursing, emeritus, at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. For 32 years he cared for countless patients as he supervised and mentored medical students, residents and physicians. He retired in 1995, but returned to Vanderbilt in 1996 when he joined the faculty of Vanderbilt School of Nursing and was a preceptor at Vine Hill Community Clinic. He is preceded in death by his children, Sarah and Walter, and is survived by his wife, Patricia; children, Roger, Edward, Patricia, Julia and Eleanor; and eight grandchildren.

John Diehl, M.D., MD ‘47, died Aug. 20, 2009. He was 84. Dr. Diehl was a founding physician of Northridge Hospital and Medical Center in Northridge, Calif. He was a medical internist and served on the staff of Northridge Hospital when it opened in 1955 with 49 beds and a one-room ER. Before retiring in the late 1980s, he served as director of a number of nursing homes and was active in Rotary International and numerous service organizations. He is survived by his wife, Maurita; children, David, John and Paul; stepson, Bryan; and seven grandchildren.

Linda Fannon-Kaster, M.D., MD ‘81, died April 15, 2009. She was 53. She received her undergraduate degree from Centenary College in Shreveport, La. She married in December 1989 and left the practice of Pediatrics in 1996 to devote her time to raising her family. She is survived by her husband of 20 years, Tom, and her daughter, Colleen.

John Feely, M.D., FE ‘80-’81, died June 10, 2009. He was 61. Dr. Feely was a distinguished pharmacologist and academic at St. James Hospital and Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. He pursued his higher professional training at Ninewells Hospital and Medical School in Dundee. He was awarded an international fellowship in Clinical Pharmacology in 1979, which enabled him to study at Vanderbilt University. He is survived by his wife, Deirdre; and children, Claire, Michael, Robert and John.

Fay Mary Gaskins, M.D., MD ‘56, HS ‘64-’69, FAC ‘92-’97, died April 22, 2009. She was 83. Dr. Gaskins did a residency in Pediatrics in Long Beach, Calif., and returned to Vanderbilt in 1964 to complete a residency in Adolescent Psychiatry. She taught Psychiatry at Vanderbilt School of Medicine and worked at the Student Health Center from 1968-1990. She worked at the VA Hospital from 1991-1997, retiring as a Major. Dr. Gaskins is preceded in death by her daughter, Mary, and survived by children, Abe, Richard and Joe; and seven grandchildren.

* Elmore Hill, D.M.D., emeritus clinical professor of Oral Surgery, died April 20, 2009. He was 87. He graduated from Duncan Preparatory School and Vanderbilt University before going to University of Louisville Dental School. He interned at Johns Hopkins University and then trained in Oral Surgery in Chattanooga, Tenn., and Birmingham, Ala., before joining Edward Martin, M.D., in a practice lasting 45 years. He is survived by his wife of 54 years, Cynthia; children, Deborah, Elmore, John, Christopher and Tracey; and 10 grandchildren.

*Gordon Hollins, M.D., MD ‘59, HS ‘59-’61, died Dec. 12, 2008. He was 75. Dr. Hollins and his family lived in Harlan, Ky., where he joined the Daniel Boone Clinic in 1967. He served as a pediatrician for the children of Harlan County and the surrounding areas until his retirement in 1998. He was an avid outdoorsman who enjoyed nothing better than hunting grouse with his Brittany Spaniel at his side or fishing with his grandchildren. He is survived by his wife, Joanne; children, Gregory and Amelia; and three grandchildren.

Gerald Johnson, M.D., HS ‘53-55, died July 24, 2009. He was 88. Dr. Johnson operated his medical practice for more than 43 years in Winchester, Tenn., retiring in 1995. He was chief of staff for the Franklin County Hospital for 26 years. When he was not spending time with his family, he loved hunting, boating and visiting with friends. He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Myra; children, Mark, Bryan, Kurt and Erik; eight grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

*M. Kenton King, M.D., MD ‘51, HS ‘53-’54, died Oct. 15, 2009. He was 84. Dr. King was appointed the first full-time dean of the Washington University School of Medicine in 1965 at age 40 after serving as acting dean for five months. He retired in 1989 as one of the longest-serving medical deans in the United States, as well as one of the most successful. Through his leadership and vision, in particular his instrumental role in recruiting new heads of all medical school departments, he shaped the course of the institution. Dr. King is preceded in death by his son, Michael, and survived by his wife, June; children, Doug, John, David and Tom; and eight grandchildren.

David Law IV, M.D., FAC ‘60-’69, died Aug. 22, 2009. He was 82. He served in the U.S. Army from 1945 to 1946. He received his medical doctorate from Cornell University Medical College in 1954. From 1969 to 1985 he served as chief of Medicine at the Albuquerque VA Medical Center and vice-chairman of the New Mexico School of Medicine. He moved to the Central Office of the Department of Veterans Affairs in Washington, D.C. in 1985 and held a variety of positions until 1996 when he became the associate chief of staff for education at the VA Medical Center in Bay Pines, Fla., until his retirement in 2002. He is survived by his children, Linda, Wendy, David, Kimberly and Cassandra; nine grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

Joseph Lentz, M.D., MD ‘63, HS MD ‘63, HS ‘64, ‘68, FAC ‘ 68-’00, died Dec. 15, 2009. He was 71. Dr. Lentz was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Vanderbilt University (‘59) and a member of AOA. He served his Pediatric training at Columbia Babies Hospital in New York and Vanderbilt, where he served as chief resident in 1967. He served two years in the U.S. Air Force, and entered private practice with Eric Chazen, M.D., in 1968, founding Green Hills Pediatrics in Nashville. He was active in the American Academy of Pediatrics both nationally and in the Tennessee Chapter, where he served as president and was honored as Pediatrician of the Year. He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Betty; children Jody, Parish, Paul and Rob; and 10 grandchildren.

Richard L. Marks, M.D., MD ‘36, died April 1, 2008. He was 96. He served as an Army captain with the Medical Corps during World War II and then as a pediatrician in Park Ridge, Ill., for 51 years. He is survived by his wife, Bernice; children, Penny and David; and three grandchildren.

John Pickett, M.D., MD ‘43, died Sept. 12, 2009. He was 92. Dr. Pickett was a captain in the Army Medical Corps and served a tour of duty in Japan during the post war occupation. He lived in Amarillo, Texas, where he had a busy pediatric practice for 45 years. He served as president of the Texas State Pediatric Society, chief of staff of Northwest Texas Hospital and president of the Potter-Randall County Medical Society. He is preceded in death by his wife of 62 years, Doris, and survived by children, John, Steven, Judith and Carol; 11 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

John (Jack) Rawson, M.D., HS ‘65-’67, died April 15, 2009. He was 71. He served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force for two years, returning to University of Mississippi Medical Center for a fellowship in Newborn Medicine, eventually becoming director of the newborn nursery, a position he held until 1978 when he began private practice of Neonatology at Hinds General Hospital and Mississippi Baptist Medical Center in Jackson, Miss. Dr. Rawson is survived by his wife of 47 years, Mary; children, Katherine and Edwin; and five grandchildren.

*William Salmon Jr., M.D., MD ‘49, died Aug. 30, 2009. He was 82. Dr. Salmon was a medical officer in the armed forces for five years, a professor of Medicine at Vanderbilt, and served as assistant chief of the medical service and chief of the Endocrinology Section at the Nashville VA Hospital from 1957 to 1995. He is remembered for the discovery of somatomedin, one of the first growth factors studied in the laboratory setting. The William D. Salmon Teaching Award in Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism at Vanderbilt was named in his honor. Dr. Salmon is preceded in death by his wife of 50 years, Jeanne, and survived by children Nancy, Susan, William and Robert; four grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Stewart Smith, M.D., MD ‘42, HS ‘42-’43, died Oct. 26, 2009. He was 92. Dr. Smith began his pediatric practice in Chattanooga during the post-war baby boom, when making evening house calls, working in the office, and attending patients at the hospital were part of a routine day. He always enjoyed his work and his patients and considered himself fortunate to have a career and a profession that he loved. Dr. Smith is survived by his wife of 36 years, Cheryl; children, Stewart, Phyllis, Suzanne, David and Ruth Ellen; stepchildren, John, Lawrence, David, Ross, Peggy, Greg and Chesley; 12 grandchildren; eight step-grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

James Spalding, M.D., MD ‘45, died Sept. 16, 2009 . He was 87. He served in the Army Medical Corps during World War II and reached the rank of captain. He worked for the Veterans Administration in conjunction with the Oklahoma University Health Science Center from 1969 until retiring in 1980 to enjoy his hobbies and to travel. Dr. Spalding was a member of the American Psychiatric Association and the Oklahoma Medical Association. He also enjoyed his time with the Full Gospel Business Men’s Fellowship meetings. He is survived by his wife, Ann; children, James and Nancy; step-children, Barbara, Bob and Mark; six step-grandchildren; and two step-great-grandchildren.

Charles Thorne, M.D., MD ‘49, HS ‘53-’56, FAC ‘62-’07, died Sept. 2, 2009. He was 84. “Charlie” was devoted to his patients and colleagues for 37 years. He was an associate professor of Medicine at Vanderbilt and established the Vanderbilt Employee Clinic in the late 1950s. His greatest career privilege was practicing medicine with the late Harrison Shull Sr., M.D., Paul Stumb, M.D., and Harrison Shull Jr., M.D. Upon retirement at age 69, Dr. Thorne worked as a physician at the Dayani Center until 2006. He is preceded in death by his wife of 63 years, JoAnn, and survived by children, Lucy, Nancy and Holly; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

*Margaret Paxton Veller, M.D., MD ‘50, HS ‘50 -’54, died July 27, 2009. She delivered more than 5,000 babies in the Natchez, Miss., community. Her friends and co-workers describe her as completely dedicated to her profession and to her patients. She was known for caring for patients despite their ability to pay. Dr. Veller was preceded in death by her parents, Derryl and Gladys Veller.

Dila Vuksanaj, M.D., FAC ‘98-’09, died Aug. 3, 2009. She was 54. She earned her M.D., from Stony Brook University and did her residency in Pediatrics at Long Island Jewish Hospital. She joined the faculty at Vanderbilt in 1998 where she was a pediatric anesthesiologist at the Monroe Carell Jr., Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt. Dr. Vuksanaj is survived by her husband, Jacques Heibig, M.D., and daughter, Jennifer.

Paul Winokur, M.D., MD ‘51, died July 19, 2009. He was 80. Dr. Winokur worked as a pediatrician in private practice in Cranford, N.J., for 10 years and then served as chief of Pediatrics at Muhlenberg Hospital in Plainfield, N.J., for 25 years. He was also a distinguished professor of Pediatrics at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey – Rutgers Medical School. He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Betty; children, Leslie, Mark, and David; and five grandchildren.

Harper Wright Jr., M.D., MD ‘47, died April 5, 2009. He was 85. Dr. Wright completed his Ob/Gyn residency at the University of Louisville Hospital. He served as a flight surgeon with the Navy during the Korean War. He joined Graves Gilbert Clinic in 1956 and was the primary Ob/Gyn serving Warren County, Ky., and was affiliated with the Medical Center at Bowling Green, Greenview Regional Hospital and Park Place Recovery Center in Bowling Green and Allen County War Memorial in Scottsville, Ky. He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Linda; children, Harper, Gail and Lynn; and nine grandchildren.

Charles F. Zukoski, M.D., FAC ‘61-’03, died Aug. 24, 2009. He was 83. Dr. Zukoski took part in performing the first kidney transplant at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in 1962 and helped position Vanderbilt as one of the nation’s oldest and largest transplant centers in the country. He was recruited to Vanderbilt as an assistant professor of Surgery in 1961, where he spent seven years. After a one-year stint at the University of North Carolina, he went to the University of Arizona for the remainder of his career, retiring in 1995. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, and his children, Elizabeth, Charles, Robin and Ann.


©2009 Vanderbilt Medical Center
Editorial tool created by Vanderbilt Medical Center Web Development
Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.